The beautiful hill station Coorg is a delight for nature lovers, thanks to its lush green environs and numerous natural attractions. Abbey Falls is one such attraction that entices and draws nature lovers from far and wide. The waterfall is located amidst the majestic Western Ghats, surrounded by abundant flora and extensive coffee and spice plantations. Here, the water cascades from a height of 70 feet, creating a mesmerising sight that will stay etched in the memory for long. This tranquil spot is a paradise for peace seekers and trekkers.
The stunning waterfall appears to be a sparkling stream of white pearls amidst emerald green surroundings. If you want to go to the waterfall, the following Abbey Falls information will help you plan a trip.
Abbey Falls, Coorg Information
Madikeri, Coorg, Karnataka
9 AM to 5 PM
Best Time to Visit
July to October
Trekking, photography, picnic, pilgrimage
Mangaluru International Airport (149 km)
Nearest Railway Station
Mysuru Junction (121 km)
Nearest Bus Station
KSRTC Bus Station, Madikeri (6 km)
Abbey Falls entry fee is only INR 15 per person. If you take a private car, you will have to pay anywhere between INR 10 and INR 50 for parking. The amount is determined by the vehicle type and size.
Source of Abbey Falls
This stunning waterfall in Coorg is formed by the confluence of several small mountain streams. After cascading down the cliff, Abbey Falls meets river Kaveri as one of its tributaries. During the monsoon season, when the streams widen and large volumes of water gush down to the pool below, the waterfall is a sight to behold.
Abbey Falls: Things to do
Abbey Falls is one of South India’s most beautiful waterfalls and a must-visit. Here are some of the activities you can try during your visit to Abbey Falls in Coorg:
- Trekking and hiking: The 15-20 minutes trek to the falls through dense jungles and plantations is a wonderful experience for nature lovers and adventure seekers. From lush green coffee and cardamon plants to pepper vines on trees, you can see so many amazing things on the way. The refreshing coolness of the place, coupled with the enticing aromas of coffee and spices, has a relaxing effect on the mind and body, making the trek a breeze.
- Photography: If you love nature photography, you can capture some charming pictures here. You must cross a hanging bridge on your way to the waterfall, which offers enticing views of Abbey Waterfalls and the lush surroundings.
- Pay homage to Goddess Kali: Visitors to the falls can also pay their respects at the small temple dedicated to Goddess Kali near the hanging bridge.
- Picnic: Abbey Falls is also a popular picnic spot due to its scenic beauty and peaceful surroundings.
- Eateries and shops: At the food stalls here, you can sample authentic local food and shop for souvenirs at the local markets.
Attractions near Abbey Falls, Coorg
- Raja’s Tomb (5 km)
- Madikeri Fort (6 km)
- Omkareshwara Temple (7 km)
- Raja’s Seat (7 km)
- Namdroling Monastery (38 km)
- Chingara Falls (42 km)
- Iruppu Falls (62 km)
- Nagarahole National Park and Tiger Reserve (97 km)
- Brahmagiri Hills (113 km)
Tips for visiting Abbey Falls
- Although Abbey Falls timings are from 9 AM to 5 PM, you must check with your local driver or at the hotel helpdesk about the best time to visit the falls to avoid the rush hours.
- Keep water handy in case you may need it on your way to the falls.
- Wear closed shoes in the wet forests to avoid leeches.
A trip to Abbey Waterfalls is undoubtedly one of the top things to do in Coorg. From the beautiful trek to the falls through coffee and spice plantations to the scenic views of the surrounding mountains, everything about the falls is fascinating. Remember to include Abbey Falls in your itinerary whenever you visit Coorg.