With temperatures in June being on the higher side across the country, there are a few places where you can actually go to find respite from the scorching heat and humidity. Obviously, most of them are situated in the mountains, serving as perfect summer retreats. The pleasant and mild climate in these hill stations draw lots of people from across India in June, and thus, you might find it challenging to make hotel bookings in these destinations during the month. So, we suggest that you make your bookings in advance once you zero down on any of the destinations that you would love to visit in June from our suggested list below:
Places to Visit in June:
1. Tirthan Valley
Tirthan Valley in Himachal Pradesh is one destination where you will find the perfect combo of sightseeing opportunities and adventure activities. An ideal place for nature enthusiasts and thrill seekers, Tirthan Valley can be defined by its lush greenery, quaint villages and rich flora and fauna. In the month of June, when the temperatures are pleasant in this part of the country, tourist footfall witnesses an increase here.
- Places to Visit in Tirthan Valley: Serloskar Lake, Jalori Pass, Great Himalayan National Park, Jibhi and Gaidhar Waterfall
- Things to Do in Tirthan Valley: Enjoy the excitement of rock climbing, get your adrenaline pumping while river crossing, indulge in some trout fishing and go on a trek to the serene waterfalls in the area
Abode to the great Tibetan spiritual leader, Dalai Lama, Mcleodganj (also known as Upper Dharamsala) is the ideal summer retreat. Also known as Little Lhasa, this town is blessed with an enchanting landscape painted with verdant hills all around. Majority of its population are of Tibetan descent and the influence of the same can be seen in its culture. Popular among adventure enthusiasts, Mcleodganj serves as the base for trekking expeditions to Triund Peak and several other summits in the region.
- Places to Visit in McleodGanj: Namgyal Monastery, Bhagsu Falls, Bhagsunag Temple, Tsuglagkhang Complex, Dharamkot and Minikiani Pass
- Things to Do in McleodGanj: Explore the Tibetan Museum, trek to the Triund Peak and shop at the Tibetan market
Kamshet is a picturesque hill station located in the Western Ghats in Maharashtra, and over the years, it has made a mark for itself on the travel map as a paradise for paragliders. Scenic vistas and cool and fresh air, in addition to the vibrant sunflower and paddy fields, make Kamshet the ideal destination to relax and unwind as well as indulge in adventure sports like paragliding, for which world-class facilities are available here.
- Places to Visit in Kamshet: Bedsa Caves, Pawna Lake, Bhairi Caves, Kondeshwar Temple and Shinde Wadi Hills
- Things to Do in Kamshet: Indulge in paragliding and enjoy the bird’s eye view of the hill town, enjoy shopping at the local markets and trek to Tikona Fort
A serene hill station in the southern state of Karnataka, Kudremukh is popular for its natural beauty, formed by dense forests, verdant meadows and lush grasslands. Its name, Kudremukh, comes from the fact that the shape of Kudremukh Peak resembles a horse’s face. An ideal destination for trekking and nature enthusiasts, this biodiversity hotspot has an array of attractions for sightseeing.
- Places to Visit in Kudremukh: Kudremukh National Park, Hanuman Gundi Falls, Gangamoola, Lakya Dam, Horanadu and Kadambi Falls
- Things to Do in Kudremukh: Trek to the beautiful Kudremukh Peak, visit the town of Kalasa and shop at the Janta Market for tea leaves, coffee powder and spices
Kasol, a quaint village located on the banks of the Parvati River in Himachal Pradesh, is a popular destination among nature lovers, backpackers and trekking enthusiasts. It receives tourists throughout the year but the summer season sees an increased footfall as the trekking expeditions to Sar Pass, Pin Parvati Pass and Kheer Ganga Pass are in full flow. The breathtaking landscape of Kasol, comprising snow-clad mountains, gushing waterfalls, pine trees and rugged village roads, make for a truly amazing sight to behold.
- Places to Visit in Kasol: Parvati River, Tosh, Pin Parvati Pass and Manikaran Gurudwara
- Things to Do in Kasol: Trek to the Kheer Ganga Peak and Sar Pass, enjoy camping under the sky, visit the village of Chalal and shop at the local flea market
Dhanaulti may not be as popular as its counterparts in the state of Uttarakhand but it is no less, in terms of natural beauty. An offbeat destination, Dhanaulti can be a great choice if you wish to spend time amidst the beauty of nature in a cool, relaxing environ. The chirping of the birds, the cool breeze, the calm atmosphere and the clean air in Dhanaulti weave magic together to give tourists some respite from their city life.
- Places to Visit in Dhanaulti: Eco Park, Surkhand Devi Temple, Dhanaulti Adventure Park, Dashavatar Temple, Deogarh Fort and Tehri Dam
- Things to Do in Dhanaulti: Visit Potato Farm and Apple Orchard Resort, and enjoy at Camp Thangdar and Kanatal Adventure Camp
7. Valley of Flowers
Another destination in Uttarakhand worth visiting is the Valley of Flowers, located in the district of Chamoli. This national park is abundant in flora and fauna, and has been given the status of a UNESCO World Heritage Site for the same reason. The place was first discovered in 1931 by a mountaineer named Frank S. Smith, and it presents its visitors with the chance to rejuvenate in cool, pleasant environs while witnessing the full glory of nature.
- Places to Visit in Valley of Flowers: Nanda Devi National Park and Valley of Flowers National Park
- Things to Do in Valley of Flowers: Explore the flora and fauna of the region
Located along the banks of the serene Vembanad Lake, Kumarakom is famous for its glistening backwaters. Thousands of tourists come here to enjoy scenic vistas of the coconut groves and lush greenery, and spend time at the houseboats on the backwaters. Fishing and angling are popular activities you can try here besides exploring the birdlife of the region, comprising Siberian Stork, Egrets, Waterfowls, and more.
- Places to Visit in Kumarakom: Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary, Aruvikkuzhi Waterfall, Kumarakom Beach, Vembanad Lake and Jama Masjid
- Things to Do in Kumarakom: Enjoy angling and fishing, explore the Kumarakom Craft Museum, taste the local delicacies and go for a boat ride on the backwaters
Pelling, nestled in the mountains of western Sikkim, is a destination you must visit if you have an inclination towards trekking. The snow-clad mountains here offer some brilliant trekking opportunities. If sightseeing is on your mind, the sacred monasteries and Kanchenjunga National Park will definitely interest you. However, the must-do thing while on a trip to Pelling is enjoying the vistas of the mighty Kanchenjunga Peak.
- Places to Visit in Pelling: Sangachoeling Monastery, Singshore Bridge, Rimbi Waterfall, Kanchenjunga Fall and Khecheopalri Lake
- Things to Do in Pelling: Visit the culturally rich Darap village, explore Kanchenjunga National Park and pay a visit to the sacred Pemayangtse Monastery
Home to the highest peak in the southern part of India – Anamudi, the district of Idukki is also famous for its arch dam that has been built across the mountain of Kuravan Kurathi. A land-locked region, Idukki lies at the top of the Western Ghats and thus enjoys a pleasant climate throughout the year, making it a perfect place for a summer vacation. Its rugged hills and dense forests are home to flora and fauna in abundance.
- Places to Visit in Idukki: Hill View Park, Gavi, Idukki Arch Dam, Kulamavu Dam, Nandukani, Painavu, Anakarra, Periyar National Park and Murrikaddy
- Things to Do in Idukki: Pay a visit to Mangala Devi Temple, take a ride to Thoommankuthu Falls and explore Idukki Wildlife Sanctuary