As the monsoon starts retreating, the climate across the country becomes quite pleasant and makes for a great opportunity to put on travel shoes! From North to South and East to West, choices for the best place to travel in September in India are plenty and it all depends upon your taste. Hill stations to beaches, temples to museums, and wildlife sanctuaries to forts; there is so much to explore in September. And if you love indulging in adrenaline-pumping activities, then you can go trekking, paragliding, rafting, scuba diving, etc.
So we bring for you a list of 15 places to visit in September in India that will undeniably give you an opportunity to make an unforgettable vacation.
Places to Visit in Eastern India
1. Kalimpong, West Bengal
Kalimpong, a quaint hill station on the foothills of the Himalayas in West Bengal, is a popular tourist destination in Eastern India. Its green landscape, featuring sprawling tea plantations makes for a pretty sight and the weather it enjoys in September makes it a must-visit destination for vacationers. It is among the best places in India to visit in September for a unique experience. There are a number of monasteries, temples, and colonial-era churches in the area for you to visit and if you seek adventure with friends here, then you will not be disappointed either.
- Places to visit in Kalimpong: Lepcha Museum, Mac Farlen Church, Dr. Graham’s Home, Deolo Hill, Moran House, Durpin Monastery, and Tsonga Gumba
- Things to do in Kalimpong: Shop for Tibetan handicrafts, jewellery, and artefacts; visit the Cactus Nursery to witness exotic flowers and go on a trekking trip to the nearby hills
- Weather of Kalimpong: In September, the average maximum temperature is 27 degrees Celsius and the average minimum temperature is 18 degrees Celsius
- How to Reach
- Nearest Airport: Bagdogra Airport (75 km)
- Nearest Train Station: New Jalpaiguri Junction (70 km)
- Nearest Bus Stand: Kalimpong Bus Stand
2. Dooars, Northeast India
Dooars, an ideal destination to explore in September, is the gateway to North-East India and Bhutan and it offers some scintillating views of the Eastern Himalayas. Famous for its rich flora and fauna, tea gardens, and several water bodies, Dooars in West Bengal is popular among nature enthusiasts and adventure seekers.
- Places to visit in Dooars: Teesta Barrage, Buxa Tiger Reserve & Fort, Bhutan Ghat and Phuntsholing
- Things to do in Dooars:Take jeep and elephant safaris at Jaldapara Wildlife Sanctuary, indulge in exciting river rafting at Teesta River and witness rich wildlife at Chapramari Wildlife Sanctuary and Gorumara National Park
- Weather of Dooars: In September, the maximum temperature is recorded as 28 degrees Celsius while the minimum temperature reaches as low as 16 degrees Celsius
- How to Reach
- Nearest Airport: Bagdogra Airport (70 km)
- Nearest Train Station: New Jalpaiguri Junction (64 km)
- Nearest Bus Stand: Shantipara Bus Stand (42.7 km)
3. Ziro, Arunachal Pradesh
The balmy weather, the cool breeze, and the enchanting backdrop of the scenic mountains, the quaint town of Ziro in Arunachal Pradesh offers all these in the month of September and thus becomes a great choice for a short vacation. The sight of the picture-perfect paddy fields, rolling green hills, and lush bamboo forests is enough to make you feel at ease. Towards, the end of September, the town comes to life with it hosting the popular ‘Ziro Festival of Music’, and being an audience to it can be certainly an amazing affair.
- Places to visit in Ziro: Talley Valley Wildlife Sanctuary, Kile Pakho, Meghna Cave Temple, Siddheshwar Nath Temple, Hapoli, Pine Grove, and Tipi Orchid Research Farm
- Things to do in Ziro: Attend the famous Ziro Festival, trek to Midey and other hillocks like Dolo Mando and Ziro Puto, and visit the Tarin Fish Farm
- Weather of Ziro: The temperature rises up to 31 degrees Celsius during the day and falls to 18 degrees Celsius at night
- How to Reach
- Nearest Airport: Lilabari Airport (137 km)
- Nearest Train Station: Naharlagun (95 km) and North Lakhimpur (120 km)
- Nearest Bus Stand: Ziro Bus Stand
4. Lachen, Sikkim
Located in North Sikkim, Lachen is a quaint village amidst the mighty Himalayan Mountains and serves as the gateway to several popular tourist locales of the state. Offering panoramic vistas of the snow-clad Himalayas and the valleys below, Lachen is a paradise for nature lovers, adventure freaks, and solitude seekers. Coming here in September can be a good choice as you can try your hands at trekking in the valleys of Lachen. Besides, this is also a good time to truly discover the flora and fauna of the village.
- Places to visit in Lachen: Gurudongmar Lake, Lachen Monastery, Shingba Rhododendron Sanctuary, Chopta Valley, Kanchenjunga National Park, and Thangu Valley
- Things to do in Lachen: Taste the mouth-watering Sikkimese delicacies, shop for local handicrafts, enjoy a trekking trip to Chopta Valley and spot exotic birds and animals at Kanchenjunga National Park
- Weather of Lachen: During this time of the year, the average temperature ranges between 15 and 22 degrees Celsius
- How to Reach
- Nearest Airport: Bagdogra Airport (200 km)
- Nearest Train Station: Darjeeling (174 km)
- Nearest Bus Stand: Lachen Bus Stand
Places to Visit in Southern India
5. Mahabalipuram, Tamil Nadu
A UNESCO World Heritage Site, Mahabalipuram in Tamil Nadu is known for its rock-cut cave temples, which showcase the architectural expertise of the people of this region, had in the past. Each structure has several intricate designs, depicting the brilliance with which it was sculpted. Besides its temples, the place has slowly emerged as a popular beach destination over the years. It is one of the best places to visit in September and can be a good option as the weather remains pleasant during this time and is excellent for sightseeing.
- Places to visit in Mahabalipuram: Shore Temple, Tiger Caves, Covelong Beach, Krishna Cave Temple, Varaha Temple, Pancha Rathas and Mahishasura Mardini Cave Temple
- Things to do in Mahabalipuram: Explore the Heritage Museum and Sculpture Museum, discover the history of the cave temples of Mahabalipuram and relax at the serene Mahabalipuram Beach
- Weather of Mahabalipuram: The average temperature lies between 26 and 34 degrees Celsius in September
- How to Reach
- Nearest Airport: Chennai International Airport (54 km)
- Nearest Train Station: Chengalpattu Junction (30 km)
- Nearest Bus Stand: Mahabalipuram Bus Stand
6. Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu
A misty hill town in the state of Tamil Nadu, Kodaikanal is perched at 2,000 meters above sea level. The beauty of this place is in its lush forested valleys, namesake lake, cascading waterfalls, awe-inspiring granite cliffs, and rolling hills. More like Nainital, the town centres around the man-made, star-shaped Kodaikanal Lake and is perfect for a relaxing holidays for couples.
- Places to visit in Kodaikanal: Coaker’s Walk, Kodaikanal Lake, Silver Cascade Falls, Bryant Park, Bear Shola Falls and Dolphin’s Nose.
- Things to do Kodaikanal: Visit Pillars Rocks, Marvel at Thalaiyar Falls, embrace the hippie vibe at Vattakanal village and take a trek to Guna Caves.
- Weather of Kodaikanal: The hill town has a moderate temperature all through the year. The average temperature in September is 21 degrees Celsius.
- How to reach Kodaikanal
- Nearest Airport: Madurai Airport (132 km)
- Nearest Train Station: Palani railway station (66 km)
- Nearest Bus Stand: Kodaikanal bus Stand
- Places to Stay: Hotels in Kodaikanal
7. Tarkarli, Maharashtra
With the monsoon retreating by September and the skies becoming clearer, stargazing takes centre stage at Tarkarli village in Maharashtra. Besides this fun activity, Tarkarli is an ideal place for adventure seekers as there are plenty of fun activities on offer here. Sightseeing can be enjoyable at Tarkarli as it is home to some glorious forts, beaches, and temples making it the best place to visit in September in India.
- Places to visit in Tarkarli:Tarkarli Beach, Padma Garh Fort, Dhamapur Lake, Deobagh, Sindhudurg Fort, Shree Shiv Chhatrapati Temple, and Vijaygarh Fort
- Things to do in Tarkarli:Enjoy your stay at a houseboat; scuba dive, parasail and snorkel at Tarkarli Beach, spot dolphins at Achara and Nivati beaches and stargaze at the camps
- Weather of Tarkarli:The average temperature ranges from 28 to 32 degrees Celsius in the month of September
- How to Reach
- Nearest Airport: Goa International Airport (133 km)
- Nearest Train Station: Kudal (31 km)
- Nearest Bus Stand: Malvan Bus Stand
8. Coonoor, Tamil Nadu
If trekking is on your mind, then planning a short trip to Coonoor in September can be a wonderful idea. Situated in the scenic Nilgiris, this picturesque hill station offers several trekking trails through the Nilgiri mountain range, and going on one such trek will give you a great opportunity to explore its serene beauty. It is one of the best places to visit in India in September.
- Places to visit in Coonoor: Lamb’s Rock, Sim’s Park, St. George’s Church, Dolphin’s Nose, and Lady Canning’s Seat
- Things to do in Coonoor: Go on a trek through Hidden Valley, indulge in a hike to Law’s Falls, Katary Falls or Droog Fort, enjoy the breathtaking view of Catherine Falls, relish local delicacies and explore the local tea plantations
- Weather of Coonoor: The average temperature of Coonoor ranges from 20 to 22 degrees Celsius during this time of the year
- How to Reach
- Nearest Airport: Coimbatore International Airport (70 km)
- Nearest Train Station: Mettupalayam (34 km)
- Nearest Bus Station: Coonoor Bus Stand
9. Kabini, Karnataka
Heaven for wildlife and nature lovers, Kabini is known for the namesake forest reserve, a river, and a handful of luxury resorts. It is among the best wildlife destinations in Karnataka for the extra possibility of spotting animals like elephants, tigers, jaguars, and black leopards. For wildlife lovers, it is one of the best places to visit in September. The famous Nagarhole National Park is also a short drive away thus making a visit to Kabini all the more interesting.
- Things to do in Kabini: Jungle safari, nature walk, boating on Kabini River, visit Kabini Dam
- Weather of Kabini: The temperature ranges from 20 degrees Celsius to 33 degrees Celsius
- How to reach Kabini
- Nearest Airport: Kempegowda International Airport in Bengaluru (270 km) and Coimbatore Airport (220 km)
- Nearest Train Station: Mysore railway station (64 km)
- Nearest Bus Stand: Kabini Bus Stand
Places to Visit in Western India
10. Daman and Diu
The twin islands of Daman and Diu in Gujarat, which were once the colonies of the Portuguese, are a perfect destination to escape the stressful city life. The peaceful atmosphere on its beautiful beaches – Nagoa, Simbor, and Chakratirth is simply outstanding; the sound of crashing waves, the blue skyline, and the cool breeze make for an ideal setting to unwind and September is the best time to do it. This place is a haven for couples to enjoy a peaceful honeymoon.
- Places to visit in Daman and Diu: Naida Caves, Diu Museum, INS Khukri Memorial, Zampa Gateway, Panikota Fort, Diu Fort, Gangeshwar Temple, and Church of St. Francis of Assisi
- Things to do in Daman and Diu: Indulge in adventure activities like water skiing and parasailing at the beaches of Daman and Diu, enjoy boating, pony riding and camel riding at the beaches, relish local cuisine and enjoy water sports at Mirasol Water Park
- Weather of Daman and Diu: The average temperature in the month of September falls between 18 and 25 degrees Celsius
- How to Reach
- Nearest Airport: Diu Airport
- Nearest Train Station: Vapi (11 km) and Bagwada (13 km)
- Nearest Bus Stand: Daman Bus Stand
11. Saputara, Gujarat
Saputara is the only hill station in the Dang district of Gujarat. Nestled in the Western Ghats, it is an ideal weekend destination from Gujarat’s main cities and even Maharashtra. Besides its natural beauty, the hill town is famous for its extremely clean and no pollution air, and tribal art and crafts. It is among the cleanest places to visit in September.
- Places to visit in Saputara: Sunset Point, Hatgadh Fort, Saputara Lake, and Saputara Tribal Museum
- Things to do in Saputara: Trekking, cycling, boating on the lake, and visiting the Artist village
- Weather of Saputara: September is usually monsoon here with low-hanging clouds and mists. The average temperature in September remains 23 degrees Celsius.
- How to reach Saputara
- Nearest Airport: Surat is the nearest domestic airport
- Nearest Train Station: Waghai railway station
- Nearest Bus Stand: Saputara Bus Stand
Places to Visit in Northern India
12. Nainital, Uttarakhand
The picturesque hill station of Nainital in Uttarakhand is a popular weekend getaway for people in Northern India, and with September being an offseason, a trip to this place at this time of the year has two straight benefits – fewer tourists and cheap hotel rates. It is among the best places to travel in September in India with family. A trip to the calm and pleasant environs of Nainital is the best way to de-stress!
- Places to visit in Nainital: Naina Devi Temple, Hanuman Garhi, Nainital Zoo, Eco Cave Gardens, Governor’s House, Tiffin Top, Snow View Point, Bhimtal, Sattal, and Naukuchiatal
- Things to do in Nainital: Enjoy a boat ride on Naini Lake followed by a relaxing walk on the Mall Road, shop at the busy Tibetan market, get a panoramic view of Nainital atop the cable car
- Weather of Nainital: The average temperature during this time of the year ranges from 23 to 35 degrees Celsius
- How to Reach
- Nearest Airport: Pantnagar Airport (65 km)
- Nearest Train Station: Kathgodam (36 km)
- Nearest Bus Stand: Tallital Bus Stand (2.3 km)
- Places to Stay: Hotels in Nainital
13. Valley of Flowers, Uttarakhand
A UNESCO World Heritage Site, Valley of Flowers National Park lies deep inside the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand. Spread over 87 sq. km, the valley forms one of the two core zones of the Nanda Devi Biosphere Reserve, the other being the Nanda Devi National Park. As the name suggests, the valley is a bouquet of plush meadows and endemic alpine flowers. It is a haven for people seeking flora and fauna making it among the best places to visit in September. Also bestowed with glaciers, waterfalls, and lush forests, the park is home to some rare wildlife species including the flying squirrel, the Himalayan weasel, the snow leopard, and the Himalayan monal.
- Places to visit in Valley of Flowers: Hemkund Sahib
- Things to do in Valley of Flowers: Trekking, rural tourism
- Weather of Valley of Flowers: As the Valley of Flowers lies in the inner Himalayan valley, it has a distinctive microclimate. It receives heavy rainfall between June and early September and the temperature remains moderate with maximum of 19 degrees Celsius.
- How to reach Valley of Flowers
- Nearest Airport: Jolly Grant at Dehradun (292 km)
- Nearest Train Station: Rishikesh Railway Station (270 km)
- Nearest Bus Stand: Govindghat Bus Stand (12 km)
14. Almora, Uttarakhand
Almora, or Almad as it is locally known is nestled in the Kumaon Hills of the Himalayas. Famous for its captivating beauty, rich cultural heritage, unique handicrafts, and delicious pahadi cuisine, Almora is flocked by tourists as well as businessmen as it is a major business centre of the Kumaon region. If you are an art lover, you would certainly love your visit here as it is considered the cultural heart of the Kumaon region. If you love mountains then it is the best place to visit in India in September.
- Places to visit in Almora: Chitai Golu Devta Temple, Zero Point, Chowk Bazar, Bright End Corner, and Kasar Devi Temple
- Things to do in Almora: Nature walk, village walk, rock climbing, cycling, shop for Angora wool, and eat Singhodi and Bal Mithai
- Weather of Almora: Almora enjoys pleasant weather year-round mainly as it lies within higher peaks of the Himalayas. The temperature in September hovers between 17 degrees Celsius to 24 degrees Celsius making it an ideal time to visit Almora.
- How to reach Almora
- Nearest Airport: Pantnagar is the closest airport (116 km)
- Nearest Train Station: Kathgodam (87 km)
- Nearest Bus Stand: Almora Bus Stand
15. Amritsar, Punjab
Amritsar is one of the top places to visit in September in the northern part of India, especially post-monsoon. Home to the glorious Golden Temple, the city is flocked by devotees and tourists alike, and starting in September, the footfall increases with the weather having cooled down after the rains. There are some spectacular places of worship in the city, besides museums and forts. Amritsar is perfect for a family trip. Whether you are coming here for a spiritual getaway or simply sightseeing, your experience in Amritsar will be a wonderful one for sure!
- Places to visit in Amritsar: Golden Temple, Durgiana Temple, Maharaja Ranjit Singh Museum, Jallianwala Bagh, Guru Ke Mahal, Partition Museum, Akal Takht and Gobindgarh Fort
- Things to do in Amritsar: Feel patriotic at the Wagah Border, go on a shopping spree at Hall Bazaar, visit the Punjab State War Heroes Memorial and Museum and enjoy water sports at Sun City
- Weather of Amritsar:The average temperature in the month of September ranges from 22 to 34 degrees Celsius
- How to Reach
- Nearest Airport: Sri Guru Ram Dass Jee International Airport, Amritsar
- Nearest Train Station: Amritsar Junction
- Nearest Bus Stand: Amritsar Bus Depot
- Places to Stay: Hotels in Amritsar
Places to Visit in India by Month:
Places to Visit in September FAQs:
Q: Which are the top 10 tourist places to visit in India in 2023?
A: The best places to visit in September in India are Amritsar, Kodaikanal, Nainital, Coonoor, Lachen, Daman and Diu.
Q: Which are the best places to visit in South India in September?
A: Coorg, Kodaikanal, Hampi, Munnar, Alleppey, Pondicherry, Ooty, Coonoor, Wayanad, and Araku Valley.
Q: Where should I go on the long weekend in September?
A: Some of the best places to visit in India during September for a long weekend are Daman and Diu, Nainital, Kodaikanal, Amritsar, Ziro, or Almora.
Q: Name the best romantic places to go in India?
A: Andamans, Coorg, Coonoor, Ooty, Munnar, Agra, Jaisalmer, Kumarakom, Kashmir, Manali, and Wayanad are among the best romantic places in India.
Q: Which are the top beach destinations to visit in India?
A: Goa, Pondicherry, Andamans, Gokarna, Mahabalipuram, Kovalam, and Gopalpur are the top beach destinations in India.