May is the bonafide holiday month all over the country, and if you’re not planning a vacation in May, you are probably working too hard. After all, some downtime is doctor-prescribed! And with myriad places to visit in India, you can choose a new one every year. Just book a hotel, pick your preferred mode of travel and get going to any of these top 10 places to visit in May in the country.
Best Places to Visit in May
1. Spiti Valley
One of the top places in India to visit in May is Spiti Valley, a cold desert with an incredibly beautiful terrain that will be imprinted in your brain. Located about 12,500 ft. above sea level, Spiti Valley is ideal for thrill-seekers as it has a large number of stunning trekking trails. Several monasteries, tiny hamlets and beautiful lakes dot the landscape, and you really need to stop at as many as you can to absorb the essence of this incredible place.
- Places to Visit in Spiti Valley: Dhankar Monastery, Chandratal Lake, Pin Valley National Park, and Tabo Monastery, Key Monastery
- Things to Do in Spiti Valley: Go see the 500-year old mummified body of a monk in the Giu village close to Tabo, bike (or trek!) across the perilous Baralacha Pass, and set up camp next to Dhankar Lake for some memorable star gazing
Want to get away from the city grime and polluted air? Head to Bir-Billing in Himachal Pradesh. Although nearly every area in Himachal is a reprieve from our desolate urban jungle, Bir-Billing does one better with its awesome paragliding options. Also popular as an eco-tourism centre, Bir-Billing also offers trekking and camping options. What better place to visit in May than the serene environs of Bir-Billing?
- Places to Visit in Bir-Billing: Palpung Sherabling Monastery, study and practice Lotus Sutra at the Deer Park Institute in Chaugan
- Things to Do in Bir-Billing: Indulge in paragliding (that’s what Bir-Billing is for!), try your hand at hang gliding, take a toy train ride for scenic views and shop at the Bir Road in Bir Village.
Home to the revered Dalai Lama and a large Tibetan community, beautiful monasteries and temples (one that is managed by the Indian Army), McLeodganj is one of the best places to visit in May. You would be welcomed here by tall pines, colorful rhododendrons and long, winding roads, carved in the Dhauladhar mountains that connect McLeodganj and Dharamsala. And once you manage to tear your eyes away from your picturesque surroundings, you’ll find that there’s so much to do here!
- Places to Visit in McLeodganj: Namgyal Monastery and Tsuglagkhang Complex, Tibetan Museum, and Bhagsunag Temple
- Things to Do in McLeodganj: Shop for Tibetan crafts and hand-painted thangkas, try the Thukpa as well as the delectable Kangri cuisine
Chail is a hill resort in the state of Himachal Pradesh and another one of the best places to visit in May for holidaymakers. Enveloped in the dense forests of Chir and Deodar, sprawling green valleys and scenic mountains, Chail was once the summer capital of the Maharaja of Patiala. Lying at a height of 2,250 metres above sea level, this pretty little town is most famous for its cricket and polo grounds – the highest in the world, its old palace, beautiful temples and many adventure sports options like high-altitude trekking and paragliding.
- Places to Visit in Chail: Chail Wildlife Sanctuary, Rajgarh Palace, Sidh Baba Temple, Kaali ka Tibba, and Gurudwara Sahib
- Things to Do in Chail: Catch a match at Chail Cricket Ground, have a picnic in Sadhupul, try local Himachali cuisine and sample some of its star dishes like Chaach Meat and Himachali Kadhi
Surrounded by forests filled with pine and fir trees with the Koshi and Suyal rivers flowing alongside and one of the most wonderful views of the snow-capped peaks of the Himalayas make Almora a must-visit in the month of May. We know it’s not on every list this summer, but we’d recommend it whole-heartedly because along with several attractions, the town also offers a glimpse of the rich Kumaoni culture.
- Places to Visit in Almora: Kosi Temple, Chitai Temple, Vivekananda Memorial & Library, the Ramakrishna Mission, the 1000-year-old Nanda Devi Temple, and Katarmal Sun Temple
- Things to Do in Almora: Enjoy scenic views of the sunset and sunrise at Bright End Corner – the farthest point on the Almora Ridge, admire Aipan displays (a traditional painting form of Kumaon) at State Museum, have a picnic at popular spots like Kalimutt, Deer Park or Simtola
Situated at an altitude of 1,370 meters above sea level, Bhimtal, near Nainital, is a veritable constellation of lakes and temples. The town, named after Bhima from the epic Mahabharata, boasts of heavy tourist traffic during the summer months, making it one of the best places to visit in May. Visit its many temples, learn about its mythological connections, sample the local cuisine and come back refreshed.
- Places to Visit in Bhimtal: Bhimeshwara Mahadev Temple, Nal Damyanti Tal, and Nag Temple
- Things to Do in Bhimtal: Sample the Kumaoni cuisine, spend some time at the Garg Parvat – a small hillock that serves as the source of the river Gargi, enjoy a picnic at Sattal, relax at Hidimba Parvat, visit the Vankhandi Ashram – a sanctuary for wild animals
From historic Buddhist monasteries to picturesque trekking trails and a plethora of adventure sports, the city of Gangtok has it all. Although most tourists treat it as a pit-stop to the trekking adventures that await them higher up in the Himalayas, Sikkim’s capital is one of the hottest places to visit in May. Unlike most parts of the country, the weather is quite cool and pleasant here during the period. There is enough and more for you to do in Gangtok; so we’d recommend you to put it on your list of best places to visit in May.
- Places to Visit in Gangtok: Namgyal Institute of Tibetology, Rumtek Monastery, Temi Tea Garden, Hanuman Tok, and Himalayan Zoological Park
- Things to Do in Gangtok: Indulge in adventure sports like paragliding and trekking, have a picnic at Seven Sisters Waterfalls, drive through Nathu La Pass, enjoy a Yak safari to the serene Tsomgo Lake, and shop for Yak cheese (Churpi) at the bustling Lal Bazaar
The ‘Yoga Capital of the World’ has always been one of the best places to visit in India during the summer months for both domestic and international travellers. This charming little hill station offers an immersive experience to the intrepid traveller. From adventure sports in Rishikesh like mountain biking to exploring the Beatles Ashram, there’s more than you can cover in just one visit. But do make a start this year!
- Places to Visit in Rishikesh: Laxman Jhula, Beatles Ashram, Trayambakeshwar Temple, Neelkanth Mahadev Temple, Kunjapuri Devi Temple, and Rajaji National Park
- Things to Do in Rishikesh: Try your hand at interesting adventure sports like cliff Jumping and the giant swing, go riverside camping, watch the mesmerizing evening arti at Triveni Ghat and take a yoga class
Also Read: How camping in Rishikesh is the best way to come back completely rejuvenated?
Close to several unspoilt beaches on the west coast and home to thick forests, lakes, waterfalls, forts and beautiful viewing points to enjoy glorious sunsets, Mahabaleshwar is an insanely popular place to visit in Maharashtra. It was built by the British as a summer escape from Bombay heat and till date, picnic spots in and around Mahabaleshwar are a welcome respite from the summers for tourists. Want to know more? Go discover the hidden secrets of this pretty little town studded in the Western Ghats, this year.
- Places to Visit in Mahabaleshwar: Venna Lake, Pratapgad Fort, Elephant’s Head Point, Tapola, Shree Kshetra Mahabaleshwar Temple, and Lord Mahabaleshwar Temple
- Things to Do in Mahabaleshwar: Picnic at Connaught Peak, take a walk on the Table Land – Asia’s second-highest mountain plateau, explore Rajapuri Caves, enjoy the sunset from one of the many viewing points, and indulge in strawberry picking (and eating!)
Also Read: Best restaurants in Mahabaleshwar where you can binge to your heart’s content
Studded like a gem in the thickly forested Nilgiri hills, Ooty is one of the most celebrated places to visit in May. Home to a mesmerizing garden, beautifully-built temples and churches, filled-to-the-brim lakes and gushing waterfalls, Ooty has everything that makes for a perfect vacation. Although the town experiences good weather throughout the year, it is one of the best places to visit in May because the air is clear and there’s isn’t much rainfall, making it the perfect time to be outdoor.
- Places to Visit in Ooty: Rose Garden, Ooty Lake, Pykara Dam, Botanical Gardens, Venkateshwara Perumali Temple, and St. Stephen’s Church
- Things to Do in Ooty: Take a boat ride on Ooty Lake, have a fun day at Thunder World amusement park, eat lots of homemade chocolate and chilli pakoras, enjoy scenic views from Nilgiri Mountain Railway
Also Read: Top places to enjoy the nightlife in Ooty
Some other great places to visit in May in India are Manali and Kasaul, Tawang, Panchmarhi and Munnar. What’s on your wish-list? Share it with us in comments below!