Ever since the first case of Coronavirus was discovered, the situation has gone from bad to worst; making hygiene and safety a prime concern for everyone, especially travellers. March onwards, a travel ban was imposed almost across the globe, but now slowly and gradually authorities are giving a green flag to commercial operation of flights and hinted towards the remission of the ban. Soon, airlines will be functional allowing travellers of all kinds to plan trips.
Though the airport authorities are taking all necessary measures to combat the spread of novel coronavirus, there are still chances of getting infected or becoming a carrier of the virus while travelling. Therefore, we have collated a list of important tips to memorise before your next air travel:
- Keep a tab on your health at least from a week before your flight and avoid travelling in case you feel sick
- Take sufficient vitamins daily including Vitamin C and Vitamin D along with zinc to boost your immunity
- Get a flu or infection shot prior to travelling to reduce the risk of catching viruses or bacteria
- Pack some homemade food items, energy bars, disposable masks and gloves, alcohol-based sanitizer and wet wipes or napkins
- To maintain a minimum contact with airport officials, save all your important IDs and documents required at the time of check-in in trusted apps like ‘DigiLocker’. You should though also carry original IDs.
- Make sure to wear a clinically approved mask (preferably N95 mask) and gloves at all times inside the airport and airplane
- Fully cooperate with the security personnel present at the airport in order to ensure complete safety of yourself and other passengers
- Avoid touching common areas like door handles, elevators or seats at the airport and in the plane. In case of any contact, sanitize your hands immediately.
- Maintain at least a 6-feet distance while standing in queues and avoid getting in contact with other passengers or officials
- Wash your hands with soap frequently and avoid touching your face (including eyes, nose and mouth). Also, make sure to keep the sanitizer bottle handy always
- Sanitise your hand immediately just after touching the seat belt or air vent in the flight
- Rely on bottled water and be aware of food contamination. Forbid drinking water from airport water dispensers. Consume snacks brought from home to reduce the chances of consuming unsafe food
- Be extremely cautious while using public toilets and try not to touch anything once the hands are washed. Apply hand sanitizer after exiting the washroom
On Reaching the Destination:
- Once the flight lands make sure not to touch any common area like the elevator rails, counters or the luggage with bare hands. Always wear gloves which should be disposed of after reaching your hotel
- Prefer online payments to avoid any contact with contaminated currency or receipts
- Book only 100% hygiene and safe hotel that takes all necessary steps to prevent spreading the virus
- Inform the hotel staff prior to arrival so that they sanitize the room and keep it ready
- As soon as you reach the accommodation, take a hot shower and get your used clothes washed to reduce the risk of spreading the infection
- Prefer in-room dining over a crowded restaurant
These thoughtfully curated hygiene and safety points will certainly keep you guarded against this debilitating virus. However, we still advise all our readers to plan only essential travel until the COVID-19 virus fades away naturally or our noble scientists and doctors are able to invent a vaccination for it.
Till then, Stay Safe, Stay Fab!