Udaipur, the Venice of the East, is a mesmerizing saga of picturesque lakes, magnificent palaces, and grand temples. Due to its location in the desert lands of Rajasthan, the city has hot and semi-arid climatic conditions with three major seasons – summer, monsoon, and winter. However, the greenery and the lakes dotting the city makes it one of the most popular monsoon destinations in India. Wondering when is the best time to visit Udaipur?
This blog tells you everything you should know about the best season to visit Udaipur and the activities you can plan in each season. Read on before you plan your trip and book your hotels in Udaipur.
Udaipur in Summer (Mid-March to June)
Udaipur experiences extremely hot and dry summers due to its proximity to the Thar Desert. The maximum temperatures may rise up to 45 degrees Celsius or more in this season while the average temperature hovers around 30 degrees Celsius. With a sparse rainfall and the scorching heat of the sun, summer isn’t the best time to visit Udaipur.
However, visiting Udaipur in summer has its own benefits too. While the heat wave may prevent you from exploring the major tourist attractions, you can spend some quality time in one of the luxury resorts in the city, enjoying their impeccable hospitality.
Things to Do in Udaipur in Summer
- Enjoy the Mewar festival (March/April)
- Explore the nightlife in Udaipur – Panera Bar, Mudra – the Lounge Bar, The F3 Bar, Brewz Rock Café, Hola Spanish Pub, Stallion Sports Bar & Dine, etc.
- Experience the colorful splendor of Holi (March)
- Spend time at the amusement parks and water parks in Udaipur – Marvel Water Park and Jeel Water Park
- Have fun in sub-zero temperatures at the Snow Park located in Celebration Mall
- Enjoy a gastronomic treat at one of the top restaurants in Udaipur – Ambrai, Chandni, Millets of Mewar, Upre by 1559 AD, etc.
- Pamper yourself with an Ayurvedic massage at one of the wellness centers or spas – Panghat Spa by Tattva, Spa Nation, Palms Thai Spa, etc.
- Relax at one of the heritage resorts – The Oberoi Udaivilas, The Taj Lake Palace, The Leela Palace, Shiv Niwas Palace, Madri Haveli, Boheda Palace, etc.
Udaipur in Monsoon (July to September)
Udaipur receives scanty rainfall during the months of monsoon. The temperature takes a dip and you can expect it to come down to anywhere between 25 and 35 degrees Celsius, but the humidity remains as high as 90 %. Monsoons in Udaipur are also accompanied by dust, thunderstorms, and winds.
Having said that, the lakes filled with water, the lush greenery, the rain-drenched views of the city, some great deals on flight tickets and resorts, and fewer numbers of tourists make monsoon one of the best seasons to visit Udaipur, especially for offbeat and budget travelers.
Things to Do in Udaipur in Monsoon
- Enjoy the festival of Teej (July/August)
- Take part in the Hariyali Amavasya Festival at Fateh Sagar Lake (July/August)
- Participate in the Gangaur Festival (July/August)
- Visit the lakes in Udaipur – Lake Pichola, Fateh Sagar Lake, Udaisagar Lake, Jaisamand Lake, Rajsamand Lake, etc.
- Explore indoor attractions like the museums in Udaipur – City Palace Museum, Ahar Archaeological Museum, Bhartiya Lok Kala Mandal Museum, Vintage and Classic Car Museum, Bagore Ki Haveli, etc.
- Visit Under The Sun, India’s largest fish aquarium
- Enjoy a puppet show and folk dance show at Bharatiya Lok Kala Mandal
- Take a trip to the Monsoon Palace
Udaipur in Winter (October to Mid-March)
Winters in Udaipur are marked by bright, sunny days and chilly nights. Temperatures in this season vary between 10 and 25 degrees Celsius. While the weather is extremely pleasant during the months of October, November, and February, the city experiences a cold wave in December and January.
There’s no doubt that winter is the best time to visit Udaipur. From enjoying pleasant boat rides on its lakes to enjoying romantic rooftop dinners, there is no end to the list of things to do in Udaipur during this season.
Things to Do in Udaipur in Winter
- Explore the top tourist attractions in Udaipur, including the City Palace, Lake Palace, Jag Mandir, Saheliyon Ki Bari, and other temples and monuments
- Go for a boat ride in the lakes in Udaipur
- Enjoy camel rides
- Watch a sunset at the Fateh Sagar Lake, Sajjangarh Fort, Jagmandir Palace, Sunset Terrace, etc.
- Enjoy the spectacle of Dussehra (October)
- Experience Navaratri celebrations (October)
- Take part in the World Living Heritage Festival (October)
- Celebrate the essence of Diwali (October/November)
- Visit Shilpgram Art Fair (November/December)
- Attend the Udaipur World Music Festival (February)
- Attend the Kumbhalgarh Festival (1st to 3rd December)
- Go wildlife spotting at Sajjangarh Wildlife Sanctuary
- Go on a shopping spree at Hathi Pol Bazaar
You must have realized by now that the City of Lakes entices visitors in different ways during different seasons. So, pick the best season to visit Udaipur based on how you want to spend time in the city and embark on a lovely journey into the beautiful land of the Mewars. You will come back rich in memories, no matter when you visit it!