Planning a vacation to Udaipur? Great choice because ‘the Lake City’ is one of the most beautiful places in Rajasthan and offers everything from opulent palaces and majestic buildings to decorated pols and pavilions, expansive lakes and of course heritage restaurants. You’ll also have a gala time at the restaurants in Udaipur because they serve some of the most lip-smacking Rajasthani delicacies and quite a few go beyond the tried and tested. So get ready to find out the best restaurants in Udaipur on your vacation:
Hemmed to the side of the famous Pichola Lake and part of the Amet Haveli, a heritage hotel built in the 1730s, Ambrai Restaurant is one of the most celebrated restaurants in Udaipur. A sophisticated ambiance, excellent food and a bar to complement the lay of the table make Ambrai one of the most visited restaurants in Udaipur. Go here for a romantic, candle-lit al fresco dinner for two with fascinating views of the brilliantly illuminated City Palace and the lake.
- Location: Naga Nagri, Outside Chandpole, Udaipur
- Timings: 7.00 am – 10.30 pm
- Must-try: Tomato Shorba, Laal Maas, Beetroot Malai Kofta
- Cost for two: ₹1700 approx.
2. Chandni at the Jagat Niwas Palace Hotel
If the pristine white structure of the Jagat Niwas Palace Hotel, a heritage property, seems super relaxing, wait till you get to Chandni, its rooftop restaurant. Cool breezes coming in from the Pichola Lake, the moon reflecting on the waves and the Aravalis in a distance complement the delicious curries and tandoori dishes. The cocktails add to the mood and desserts do justice to the meal. Do book in advance though, the place is insanely popular.
- Location: Hotel Jagat Niwas Palace, Chandpole, Udaipur
- Timings: 7.00 am – 11.00 pm
- Must-try: The Rajasthani thali
- Cost for two: ₹1200 approx.
3. Millets of Mewar
A surprise in the middle of the rich, decadent Rajasthani cuisine, Millets of Mewar is the Garden City’s first health food eatery. A must visit restaurant in Udaipur, Millets of Mewar prides itself on being a sustainable, slow food eatery that sources most of its ingredients (always organic) locally and, wherever possible swaps millets with the more popular grains for a healthier, gluten-free meal. Their Chapati pizzas are awesome and you must try it along with their sandwiches and pastas.
- Location: Hanuman Ghat, Outside Chandpole, Udaipur
- Timings: 8.30am -10.30 pm
- Must-try: Chapati Pizza, Mewar Rajasthani Thali
- Cost for two: ₹600 approx.
4. Palki Khana
Sitting pretty inside the Shiv Niwas Palace complex, Palki Khana is as eye pleasing as its food is tummy pleasing. An open-air café, this should be one of the restaurants in Udaipur you must visit for its fabulous 24K Gold coffee (there’s a thin layer of gold foil on the coffee, true!) and an eclectic menu that includes a variety of pastas and pizzas. A little expensive, but worth it!
- Location: Shiv Niwas Palace, City Palace Complex, Chandpole, Udaipur
- Timings: 9.30 am – 5.30 pm
- Must-try: Chicken pizza, coffee, Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad
5. Upré By 1559 AD
Named for the year Udaipur was founded by Maharana Udai Singh II, Upré By 1559 AD is a charming (and thankfully secluded) restaurant on the Fateh Sagar Lake and is one of our recommended restaurants in Udaipur. Go here for its relaxed ambiance, stunning views of the lake and its eclectic dishes representing Indian, Thai and Continental cuisines. The cocktail menu is good and complements the food.
PS: You can even have cabanas set up for you, giving you your own (slightly) personal space with their gauzy curtains!
- Location: Outside Chandpole, Pichola, Udaipur
- Timings: 12.00 noon- 3.30 pm; 6.30 pm – 10.30 pm
- Must-try: Laal Maas, Lamb Biryani, cocktails
- Cost for two: ₹1900 approx.
7. Royal Repast
One of the most elegant restaurants in Udaipur, Royal Repast is owned by the renowned Bedla family that has previously wowed many royals and celebrities with their culinary expertise. Studded like a gem inside their plush, ornately decorated home, Royal Repast as every bit as royal as its name suggests. Try their absolutely delectable traditional dishes like the murg dahi bootha, the creamy mutton mitti ki handi, and decadent makkai ka meetha to end the meal with.
- Location: Bedla House, Chetak Marg, Panchwati, Udaipur
- Timings: 12.00 noon- 3.30 pm; 8.00 pm – 10.30 pm
- Must-try: Murg Dahi Bootha, Machhi Kabab, Karan Shahi Dal
- Cost for two: ₹800 approx.
7. Charcoal by Carlsson
Looking for a change from all the heritage Rajasthani food? Try Charcoal, a heaven for barbecue lovers. For its extensive menu of all things barbecued and tandoor-ed, Charcoal is also one of the best priced restaurants in Udaipur. It’s up a flight of stairs, so there’s a fair climb coming your way but once you get up there, the views of the city and the lake are stunning. The drinks menu is quite extensive too and it’s a great place to rest your feet after a day of sightseeing in the Lake City.
- Location: Lal Ghat, Behind Jagdish temple
- Timings: 7.00 am – 11.00 pm
- Must-try: Tandoori Chicken, the mezze platter and the Olive Naan
- Cost for two: ₹1000 approx.
8. Udaipuri Restaurant
Among a handful of restaurants in Udaipur that serve only vegetarian fare, Udaipuri Restaurant offers a delightful fusion menu of Indian, Chinese and Mediterranean cuisines. Sitting right in the heart of the city, this charming eatery offers great views of the city’s many attractions. Simple décor, attentive staff and great food…that’s what makes up Udaipuri Restaurant and you’d be surprised at how vegetarian affair can be succulent and memorable once you’ve been here.
- Location: Shastri Cir, Ashok Nagar, Udaipur
- Timings: 7.00 pm – 11.00 pm
- Must-try: Khumb ki Biryani, Udaipuri starter platter
- Cost for two: ₹700 approx.
9. Jheel’s Ginger Coffee Bar & Bakery
With awesome views to the Lake Pichola and a tranquil ambiance, Jheel’s Ginger Coffee Bar is the place where you go to put your feet up and enjoy your beverage over silence. The coffees are made ‘just right’ and the food is no-fuss and flavorful. Perfect for solo travelers and couples, this no-frills café is one of our favorite restaurants in Udaipur. Go here for some sandwiches and coffee at the end of the day to watch the sun set slowly and come back rejuvenated.
PS: Seating is limited and it’s quite a flight of stairs, so go prepared!
- Location: Gangaur Ghat, Near Bagore Ki Haveli, Udaipur
- Timings: 8.00 am – 10.00 pm
- Must-try: Paneer Tikka Sandwich, Veg Lasagna, Nutella Frappe
- Cost for two: ₹600 approx.
This beautiful waterfront restaurant in Udaipur is pitched to the side of the equally beautiful Fateh Sagar Lake and when you get here the décor has a surprising abundance of horse statues. That’s for Chetak, the legendary horse of Maharana Pratap, the 16th Century ruler of Mewar. Stories and poems have been written eulogizing Chetak and this restaurant is a tribute to this great, wartime hero. With delicious (and little-known) curries from the interior of Rajasthan served here, the food is going to be memorable as well. Perfect for a group of friends or with family, Tribute is a must-visit restaurant in Udaipur and we do recommend it.
- Location: Ambamata Temple Road, Fateh Sagar, Udaipur
- Timings: 11.00 am – 11.00 pm
- Must-try: Gatta curry, Dungar Maas, Maans ke Sooley and Flontin Cardamom
- Cost for two: ₹1500 approx.
Being a tourist city, Udaipur has more than its fair share of restaurants. Some other notable restaurants in Udaipur we’d urge you to try are: the very hip Udai Art Café run by Meropi Mitrou, a Greek photographer who loved Udaipur so much she decided to move to the city and open an awesome coffee place; the Pan Asian – Wok By The Lake for its signature Sui Mui; the effusive, thali-only Garden Restaurant for its no-garlic, no-onion fare and Sheesh Mahal at the Leela Palace for a wonderfully romantic meal by the side of Lake Pichola.
While in Udaipur, we’d also recommend you try the city’s to-die-for street food like the mircha bada, kachoris, jalebis, daal-baati-choorma, kulhad coffee (it’s a thing!) and dabeli. Got your own favorite restaurants in Udaipur? Share the goodies with us in the comments below.