If you visit Delhi during the day, you will see a city that bursts with horrendous traffic and all kinds of business activities. However, as the sun goes down, the national capital of India takes on a different avatar. Its nightlife, for lack of a better word, is just amazing. From taking night tours and ghost walks to enjoying late-night grubs at street joints and partying hard till morning, there are many things to do in Delhi at night.
Want to experience this vibrant face of India’s capital city? Get out of your cozy bed and step out of your hotels in Delhi. Here is a list of things and places that await you for an awesome night in Delhi.
Things to do in Delhi at night
1. Enjoy the Beauty of the Majestic India Gate
India Gate, an iconic war memorial, is counted among the best places to hang out in Delhi with your friends and family during the day. And guess what? It looks equally or perhaps more stunning at night when the entire structure is illuminated with spectacular spotlights. You can plan an evening here, enjoying the beauty of the structure from the open lawns or walk on Rajpath with your gang. As the night falls, make your way towards Pandara Market where you can enjoy some of the best street food in Delhi.
- Location: Rajpath
- Timings: 24×7; every day
2. Attend the Light and Sound Show at the Red Fort
The Red Fort or Lal Qila is not just another historical monument dotting the landscape of Delhi. It is an architectural marvel built by Shah Jahan and a UNESCO World Heritage Site that attracts millions of tourists every year. After sundown, the place offers you one of the best things to do in Delhi at night – a spectacular light and sound show that tells you the grand history of the city. Counted among the best light and sound shows in India, it offers you a fun and educational experience at the same time. The shows are conducted in Hindi and English, and the duration of each show is one hour.
- Timings: 07:30 pm to 08.30 pm (Hindi); 09.00 pm to 10.00 pm (English); closed on Mondays
- Entry Fee:
Weekdays – ₹ 60 per person (adults); ₹ 20 per person (children)
Weekends – ₹ 80 per person (adults); ₹ 30 per person (children)
*Due to upgradation, the show is currently suspended.
Also Read: Places to Visit in Delhi for Couples
3. Watch a Play at the National School of Drama
Established in 1959, the National School Drama or NSD is the most prestigious theatre training institute in the country and the alma mater of many talented artists, including Om Puri, Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Rohini Hattangadi, and Irrfan Khan. The institute invites the public to watch the plays featuring its students, and this can be a wonderful experience to enjoy in the capital city, especially if you are a lover of art and theatre. After watching the play, you can make your way to Triveni Terrace Café located nearby that has some mouthwatering dishes on its menu.
- Location: Bhagwandas Road, Mandi House
- Timings and Entry Fee: Varies based on the show
4. Take a Night Safari to Sanjay Van
A night safari to Sanjay Van, a city forest located near Mehrauli and Vasant Kunj, is another one-of-its-kind activity to do in Delhi at night. Spread over a sprawling area of 783 acres, this thickly wooded area is a great place for trekkers and adventure enthusiasts. There are many agencies in Delhi that organize night safaris to Sanjay Van where you can experience the jungle coming alive with the sounds of insects and nocturnal birds. On these safaris, you can learn a thing or two about the history of Mehrauli and listen to some interesting tales about Delhi as well.
- Timings: From 07:00 pm onwards
- Charges: ₹ 300 onwards (approx.)
Note: Timings and charges might vary based on the agency you choose.
5. Take a Late Night Ghost Tour with Paranormal Investigators
Are you up for a hair-raising and thrilling experience that makes your heart pump at a higher pace? A late-night ghost walk in Delhi led by professional paranormal investigators is just perfect for that! Mind you, these tours are not for the fainthearted because you might come across many chilling tales and experiences, and even ghostly sightings. Many groups organize tours to numerous haunted places in Delhi, and you will be given prior training on how to use laser grids, and night vision and thermal cameras.
- Duration: 2 hours (approx.)
- Charges: ₹ 500 onwards (approx.)
Note: Duration and charges might vary based on the agency you choose.
6. Take a Trip to Murthal for a Unique Dhaba Food Experience
Traveling over 50 km from the city of Delhi just to have some food might sound like a crazy thing to do, but the highway dhabas in Murthal more than make up for the long drive. For starters, driving down to this village in the late-night hours with your friends or family is an experience in itself. And once you reach there, you can gorge on hot from the girdle paranthas and other grubs from a dhaba and feel the magic of heavenly flavors.
Want to enjoy more of dhaba food? The dhabas on Delhi-Jaipur highway are also pretty popular among the nocturnal foodies in the city.
- Must-visit dhabas: Amrik Sukhdev Dhaba, Haveli, Gulshan Dhaba, Mannat Haveli, Pahalwan Dhaba, Jhilmil Dhaba, and No.1 Ahuja Dhaba
- Must-try items: Paneer Misiya Paranthas, Aloo Paranthas, Chole Bature with Lassi, Thalis, Amritsari Kulcha, Chatti Ki Lassi, and Dal Makhani
7. Party Till You Drop at the Pubs and Night Clubs in Delhi
How can one talk about having fun and places to visit in Delhi at night and not mention, the pubs and night clubs in Delhi! If you are a party animal, there are many late-night pubs you can head to where the night is always young. These places pulsate with energy and also serve you the best food and drinks in town, offering you a night to remember for a lifetime. Here’s our handpicked list of some of the best late-night pubs and clubs.
- Location: Janpath
- Timings: 10:00 pm to 04:00 am; closed on Mondays and Tuesdays
- Cost for Two: ₹ 5000 (approx.)
- Location: New Friends Colony
- Timings: 09:00 pm to 03:00 am; every day
- Cost for Two: ₹ 4500 (approx.)
- Location: Barakhamba Road
- Timings: 07:00 pm to 01:00 am (Tuesdays); 10:00 pm to 01:00 am (Wednesday to Sundays); closed on Mondays
- Cost for Two: ₹ 5000 (approx.)
The Electric Room
- Location: Lodhi Road
- Timings: 09:00 pm to 05:00 am; closed on Mondays and Sundays
- Cost for Two: ₹ 5000 (approx.)
- Location: Vasant Kunj
- Timings: 11:00 am to 12:30 am (Monday to Wednesday); 11:00 am to 01:00 am (Thursday to Sunday)
- Cost for Two: ₹ 1400 (approx.)
8. Curb Your Midnight Cravings at Delhi’s Popular Street Food Joints
Dhabas are not the only places to experience an unforgettable gastronomic experience in Delhi during at night. The oh-so-yummy street food in the city is equally enticing and will cater to your midnight cravings. Here’s our list of the most popular joints where you can try the best street food in Delhi.
- Location: India Gate
- Best known for: Butter Chicken, Barrah Kebabs, Chicken Tikka, Dal Makhani, Dum Biriyani, Seekh Kebabs, Kulfi, Rabdi, and Falooda
- Must-visit food joints: Gulati, HaveMore, Chor Bizarre, Pindi, Chicken Inn, Krishna Di Kulfi, and Veg Gulati
Moolchand Paranthe Wala
- Location: Lajpat Nagar
- Best-known for: Rajma, Kheer, Paneer Paranthas, Egg Paranthas, Sweet Lassi, Chai, Aloo Pyaaz Paranthas, and Aloo Matar
- Location: Jawaharlal Nehru University, Mehrauli Road
- Must-visit food joints: Ganga Dhaba, North Eastern Dhaba, Raju Bhaiya Ka Dhaba, and Tapti Da Dhaba
- Best-known for: Chicken Rolls, Butter Chicken, Chicken Lollipops, Milkshakes, and Double Egg Rolls
Patel Chest Chai Wala
- Location: North Campus, Delhi University
- Best known for: Bun Butter, Chai, Eggs, and Maggi
- Location: Chandni Chowk
- Best known for: Butter Tikka Chicken, Chicken Biriyani, Chicken Jehangiri, Khameeri Roti, Beef and Mutton Kebabs, Kheema Goli, Kallan Sweets, and Paneer Ki Jalebi
- Must-visit food joints: Karim’s, Aslam Chicken Corner, Al-Jawahar, Qureshi Kebabs, Haji Mohd. Hussain Fried Chicken and Kallan Sweets
When there are so many interesting things to do and places to visit in Delhi at night, why spend your time flipping through TV channels? Plan a night out, alone or with your family and friends, and make the most of it.