Indore, situated on the Malwa Plateau, is fast becoming a favorite destination for travelers. The city stands at the borderline of two types of climates, namely tropical savannah climate and humid subtropical climate. Are you looking forward to a trip to this city and planning to book your hotels in Indore? Then learning a few things about the best time to visit Indore will help you plan your itinerary better.
Like most other Indian cities, Indore experiences three distinct seasons – summer, monsoon, and winter. Wondering which of these is the best season to visit Indore? Here is a detailed account of these seasons and the things to do in Indore in summer, winter, and monsoon.
Indore in Summer (April to June)
Summer in Indore starts in April and the sweltering heat continues till June. The city witnesses scorching temperatures that may reach up to 45 degrees Celsius while the minimum average temperature remains around 21 degrees Celsius. Indore enjoys low humidity during this season and May is the hottest of all months. Due to its inland location and high altitude, the city enjoys cool nights even during the hot summer months. The cool breeze blowing in the night is known as Shab-e-Malwa, which makes the summers bearable and less harsh.
For those who are interested in exploring the cultural and architectural beauty of the city, summer isn’t the best season to visit Indore or enjoy outdoor activities. However, you can still find a lot of fun things to do in Indore during this season, especially in the evenings once the temperature drops.
Things to Do in Indore in Summer
- Visit the hill stations near Indore – Mandu (97 km), Toranmal (257 km), Chikhaldara (282 km), Pachmarhi (340 km), etc.
- Go on a night trek to Kalakund Forest or Janapav Temple
- Spend an evening at Chokhi Dhani, the famous Rajasthani village-themed restaurant
- Cool off at the waterparks in Indore – Crescent Water Park, Mayank Blue Water Park, Shell City Water Park, Nakhrali Dhani Water Park, and Satyam Water Park
- Go on a late-night gastronomic tour through Sarafa Bazaar or Chappan Dukan
- Go gaming at the gaming zones in Indore – Mystery Rooms (Vijay Nagar), Funplex Game Zone (Treasure Island Mall)
- Spend time at one of the air-conditioned shopping malls in Indore – Treasure Island Mall, C21 Mall, Malhar Mega Mall, etc.
- Party the night away at the nightclubs and pubs in Indore – Trance Pub, 10 Downing Street, OPM Bar and Lounge, Sky Blue Sports Bar, Quorum, etc.
Indore in Monsoon (July to September)
The monsoon rains start to lash Indore in July and the season lasts till mid-September. The city experiences moderate rainfall during this season. Monsoon brings down the temperature to an average of 26 degrees Celsius. July and September are the rainiest months in the city. Though monsoons in Indore are very humid, the climate turns cool and pleasant during this period.
Monsoons may not be the best time to visit Indore as far as exploring the popular tourist attractions is concerned. However, you can take a trip to the nearby waterfalls and visit indoor attractions like museums, temples, etc. if you are visiting Indore in this period.
Things to Do in Indore in Monsoon
- Plan a picnic to the waterfalls near Indore – Tincha Falls, Patalpani Falls, Chidiya Bhadak Falls, etc.
- Visit the Lotus Lake in Gulawat (22 km) which is filled with lotus blooms during and shortly after the monsoon season.
- Take a trip to the weekend getaways from Indore – Kalakund (32 km), Ujjain (56 km), Omkareshwar (80 km), Ratlam (140 km), Hanumantiya Island (170 km), etc.
- Visit the famous temples in Indore – Annapurna Temple, Bada Ganapati Temple, Shree Khajrana Ganesh Temple, etc.
- Go on a long drive to Janapav Hill
- Visit the museums in Indore – Central Museum, Lalbagh Palace Museum, and Gandhi Hall
- Enjoy the festival of Ganesh Chaturthi (August-September)
- Celebrate Anant Chaudas (September)
- Take part in the Navratri festivities (September-October)
Indore in Winter (October to March)
Winter in Indore begins by October and continues till March. From November to February, the weather turns chilly. The city experiences a maximum average temperature of around 28 degrees Celsius while the minimum temperature can be as low as 10 to 8 degrees Celsius. December and January are typically the coldest months of this season. The winter days are sunny and pleasant, making it the best season to visit Indore.
The period from October to March is a great time to explore the palaces, forts, parks, wildlife sanctuaries, etc. in Indore. You can also break a sweat by trekking to the nearby hills or engaging in adventurous activities.
Things to Do in Indore in Winter
- Visit the lakes in Indore – Lotus Lake, Choral Dam, Pipliyapala Lake, etc.
- Explore the magnificent forts near Indore – Dhar Fort, Mandu Fort, Maheshwar Fort, Orchha Fort Complex, Gwalior Fort, etc.
- Go wildlife spotting at Ralamandal Wildlife Sanctuary
- Explore the major tourist attractions in Indore – Rajwada Palace, Lal Bagh Palace, Kanch Mandir, etc.
- Unleash the adventurer in you at the Safari Activity Park
- Go boating at Pipliyapala Regional Park
- Shop like a local at the Kothari Market
- Take part in Rangapanchami (March)
- Celebrate Ahilya Utsav (14th January)
- Take part in the Kite Festival on the occasion of Makar Sankranti (14th January)
Keep in mind these details when planning your trip and you are sure to have a great time in this wonderful city. No matter when you visit, don’t forget to indulge in the local flavors of the region at the best restaurants in Indore. Summer, winter or monsoon, the lip-smacking Indori Poha and juicy Jalebis will tickle your taste buds.
Recommended Hotels in Indore:
Use Coupon Code "FABSTAR", Get 30% Discount!