A trip to the tech hub of India, Bangalore, is not really complete even if you have already feasted your eyes on its beautiful parks, palaces, temples and adventure haunts. You must plan a visit to the Commercial Street, in the Central Business District, for some retail therapy, and soak in the lively bustle all around you. From colourful bangles to spice up your ethnic ensemble and stylish clutches to pair with evening gowns to branded cosmetics, elegant dinner sets and beautiful home décor objects, you will get everything you need here. Once you are exhausted from the bargain shopping and navigating the narrow lanes peppered with quirky stores, you can head to one of the many eateries on Commercial Street. Feel free to explore the many tourist hotspots that are close to this famous street too.
So, find out about where to shop at Commercial Street, timings, things to buy, where you can eat, and how to be a smart shopper.
Commercial Street Information
Tasker Town, Shivaji Nagar
Nearest Metro Station
MG Road Metro Station
10.30am – 8.00pm (some shops close later), every day
What to Shop
Ethnic and modern clothes, handbags, cosmetics, home décor items, crockery, stationery, ethnic footwear, jewellery
Things to buy at Commercial Street, Bangalore
Commercial Street is a shopping haven where stunning things can be found at stunning prices. You can get your hands on some classy fabrics to stitch clothes or go for trendy items that are perfect for casual occasions or parties. Traditional glass bangles in myriad hues, intricately carved silver ornaments and vibrant jootis will surely grab your eyeballs. You can even get piercings done here and pick up antique handicrafts to jazz up your home without burning a hole in your pocket. Here are some shops and lanes you must check out:
- Bangles & Accessories Store – Get gorgeous bangles in every possible colour and gold-plated ornaments for that perfect ethnic look.
- Mahaveer Mall and Hi-Street Mall – From the best body lotions and fragrant shampoos to exotic perfumes and premium-quality makeup products, these places are a woman’s delight.
- LB Prakash and V R Plaza – Beautifully embroidered bridal lehangas, blouses, gowns and fabrics for kurtas are available at L B Prakash. V R Plaza is also a good bet if you want fashionable and embellished blouses or those made from Kalamkari and Ikat
- Star Ethnic Foot Wear and Gollar Lane – Pick up from a vast array of fashionable yet ethnic Kolhapuri chappals and jootis to ace that desi look! Gollar Lane boasts stylish ethnic bags as well.
- Vashi’s House of Jeans – You will be spoilt for choice, when it comes to fit, flare, colour and look.
- Mecca Life Style – This ancient shop will take your breath away with exquisitely crafted lanterns, mugs, long-necked jugs, dinner sets and tea sets. These combine oriental and Middle-Eastern designs and come in exciting hues.
- Naughtee Garment Store – Make a dazzling statement at the next party with luxurious satin gowns and sequinned tops from this store. You will find the latest designs here.
- Ibrahim Saheb Street and Rumana Collection – Plenty of stores sell sarees, salwar suits and fabrics at extremely reasonable prices on Ibrahim Saheb Street. Dupattas in a range of patterns and colours are also available. If you wish to personalise dupattas or get them in silk, georgette or chiffon, Rumana Collection is an ideal store too.
- Asiatic Arts & Crafts – Antique wall hangings, rustic bells, gracefully handcrafted key chains and unique clocks make this store a star attraction. You can also pick up religious sculptures and paintings.
- Dazzle Handbags & Clutches – Made of durable materials, the bags and clutches here flaunt trendy patterns, beautiful colours and can complement any outfit. From solids and colour-blocks to sequinned, stitched and floral prints, you will find all kinds here.
- Jeweller’s Street – As the name suggests, the entire street is lined with shops that sell gorgeous silver, gold and imitation jewellery in both traditional and modern designs. You can get your ears, nose or even belly pierced here.
Street food to try at Commercial Street, Bangalore
No shopping spree is complete without binging on some spicy or sweet street grub! And on Commercial Street, you will find numerous stalls selling simple snacks and quick meals. Whether you like something desi and authentic or the domestic version of a foreign delicacy, you will spot it easily. So, try out –
- Dosa, idli, medu vada, uttapam and obbattu, if you like South Indian dishes
- Roasted peanuts, raw mango bhel (with tomato and mint chutney), chana chatpata (spicy treat with tomatoes and onions), roasted and flavoured corn and sweet Mangalore buns (with sambar and coconut chutney) if you want something quick
- Pani puri, bhajiya and Frankie for a burst of flavours
- Guava and beel fruit if you are health-conscious
- Manchurian and sandwiches if you wish to explore Chinese and Continental options
- Jalebi to sweeten your taste buds and fresh lime soda to quench your thirst
Restaurants and cafes on Commercial Street, Bangalore
No matter how hungry you are or what your favourite cuisine is, you will find the perfect eating joint on Commercial Street or around it. This is a place where enjoying crispy dosa with hot coffee, digging into sinfully sweet desserts or relishing a massive pizza is equally easy. Some popular cafes and restaurants include:
- MDP Coffee House
- Starbucks Coffee
- The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf
- Matteo Coffea
- Lakeview Milkbar
- Café Azzure
- The White Room – Coffee & Kitchen
- Smally’s Resto Café
- The London Shakes
Useful tips for shoppers
To make the most of your shopping experience and land the best deals, keep these tips in mind:
- While visiting the Commercial Street in the morning will give you more breathing room to explore the stores, you will get better deals in the evening, especially when the stores are about to close.
- Always decide on a budget before you get started. This way, you can avoid impulsive shopping and over-spending.
- Most of the shops on Commercial Street don’t accept cards. So, carry enough cash and change. But be wary of pickpockets.
- Haggle, no matter which store you visit. However, if something really catches your eye, be ready to pay a little more than what you expected.
- Wear shoes in which you can walk for hours as it is easy to spend 2 or 3 hours at the Commercial Street. In summer, wear breathable clothes.
Attractions near Commercial Street, Bangalore
Apart from shopping to your heart’s content, you can visit these tourist attractions near Commercial Street:
- Mary’s Basilica (1km)
- Andrew’s Presbyterian Church (1km)
- M Chinnaswamy Stadium (2km)
- Cubbon Park (2km)
- Mahatma Gandhi Park (2.5km)
- UB City (3km)
- Indira Gandhi Musical Fountain Park (3km)
- Garuda Mall (3km)
- Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium (3km)
- Visvesvaraya Industrial & Technological Museum (3.5km)
- Suvarna Vidhana Soudha (3.5km)
- Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath (4km)
- Lalbagh Botanical Garden (6km)
To wrap up, shopaholics cannot miss the excitement and plethora of options that Commercial Street in Bangalore offers. So, chart out the perfect itinerary to accommodate your shopping needs, your foodie soul, and make time to capture memorable photos at the nearby tourist attractions too.