Steeped in royal history, Mysore exudes certain flamboyance that is hard to find elsewhere in India. The grand palaces, majestic monuments, and splendid gardens you find here are reflections of its architectural and cultural achievements. And, keeping up with the impressive aesthetic splendor of the city are its gastronomic flavors that are no less enticing. If you explore Mysore as a foodie, you will find it hard to miss the culinary extravaganza that this city offers. While crisp dosas and aromatic coffee still remain Mysore’s soul food, the city boasts plenty of other delights that can turn you into a true fan. Think of the sinful Mysore pak, the tempting mallige idli, the flavorsome bonda…. And the list goes on and on and on. In short, the city is a haven of drool-worthy delicacies.
But, where can you enjoy the finest taste and flavors of the city? We bring to you a curated list of the best restaurants in Mysore that will delight the foodie in you on any day.
Top Vegetarian Restaurants in Mysore
If food means happiness to you, then the vegetarian dishes you find in Mysore would be nothing short of pure bliss. The only condition is that you need to hit the right spots (read restaurants) in your quest for soulful vegetarian food in this city of palaces. Here are our top picks for the best veg restaurants in Mysore.
1. Vinayaka Mylari, Mysore
‘Legendary’ is the only word that does justice to Vinayaka Mylari. Ask any resident of Mysore about the best place to savor some soulful food in the city, and the chances are high that most (if not all) will give you the name of this iconic eatery. The drawcard of this restaurant is neither fancy décor nor impressive ambiance. Wait and watch – the place is going to win you over with awesome food and nothing else! The taste of its light fluffy idlis and out-of-the-world dosas served on banana leaves act as instant mood enhancers. The perfect combination of great flavors and pocket-friendly rates makes it one of the most preferred eateries in Mysore.
- Location: Nazarbad Main Road, Doora, Mysore
- Timings: 06:30 am to 01:30 pm and 03:00 pm to 08:30 pm; closed on Wednesdays
- Must-try Items: Mysore Masala Dosa, Butter Dosa, Benne Dosa, Sagu Dosa, Idli, Filter Coffee
- Cost for two: ₹ 300 (approx.)
2. Mahesh Prasad, Mysore
If you intend to taste authentic South Indian food in Mysore, you ought to visit Mahesh Prasad. A favorite joint among the local population, the place draws in foodies and turns them into lifelong fans, thanks to its simple yet delightful spread. What it lacks in terms of cool furnishings and swanky ambiance, it more than makes up for through its mouth-watering dishes. While many of the traditional restaurants in the city have surrendered to the popularity of modern restaurants, Mahesh Prasad stands tall even today, offering the excellent food that shaped its identity as one of Mysore’s most visited restaurants. Whether it’s breakfast, lunch, or dinner, you can always expect fresh flavors to tickle your taste buds.
- Location: Ashoka Circle, Krishnamurthypuram, Chamrajpura, Mysore
- Timings: 07:30 am to 10:00 pm; every day
- Must-try Items: Onion Dosa, Masala Dosa, Set Dosa, Rava Idli, Pongal, Khara Bhath, Vangi Bhath, Filter Coffee, Tea
- Cost for two: ₹ 300 (approx.)
3. Green Leaf, Mysore
It’s easy to pass off the place as just another of the many restaurants that dot the city. But that’s only till you try the food there. Whether you want to tickle your taste buds with authentic South Indian dishes or flavorsome North Indian delicacies, you can trust Green Leaf to serve everything with equal honesty! A favorite among the native folk, the place also serves Jain dishes and Chinese delicacies. Their signature dish is Open Masala Dosa which will make you keep coming back for more. Click here to know pubs in Mysore
- Location: Kalidasa Road, Vani Vilas Mohalla, Gokulam, Mysore
- Timings: 07:30 am to 10:30 pm; every day
- Must-try Items: Masala Dosa, Paper Dosa, Paneer Tikka
- Cost for two: ₹ 400 (approx.)
4. SPR Veg Restaurant, Mysore
There’s nothing like enjoying a tasty meal in a serene and breezy ambiance. SPR Veg Restaurant ticks the boxes on all these fronts and more. Once you settle down in the bright and airy open dining area surrounded by green plants, you can pamper your taste buds from a host of dishes that make up their extensive menu. South Indian fare, tandoori items, burgers, pav bhaji, sandwich, you name them and you get them! The jolada rotti oota is a big hit among regulars; first-timers are also all praises about it. Quick service by the polite staff adds a few more brownie points to this restaurant.
- Location: Adipampa Road, Second Stage, Gokulam, Mysore
- Timings: 07:30am–3:30pm, 4:30–10pm
- Must-try Items: Masala Dosa, Mushroom fried rice, Paneer Manchurian, Jolada rotti oota
- Cost for two: ₹ 350 (approx.)
- Top Non-Vegetarian Restaurants in Mysore
When it comes to food, Mysore has something for everyone. If your heart craves for some meaty delights, the city won’t disappoint you in any way. Here is our list of the best non-veg restaurants in Mysore.
5. Oyster Bay, Mysore
Oyster Bay welcomes you with its serene ambiance that lifts your mood the moment you step in. But, it is the food that is the real attraction of this restaurant. The chef here is an expert at rustling up multi-cuisine meals, including sumptuous delicacies with aplomb. This restaurant also offers visitors the option to sit outdoors and gorge on the food while enjoying the cool breeze during the evening. Apart from digging into their Continental, Chinese, North India, and Mughlai fares, you can also relax with a drink in their well-appointed lounge bar.
- Location: Kannada Parishath Road, 2st Stage, Vijay Nagar, Mysore
- Timings: 11:30 am to 11:30 pm; every day
- Must-try Items: Seafood island soup, clay pot rice, Kung pao lamb, Pasta Arrabiata, Tandoori Prawns
- Cost for two: ₹ 1000 (approx.)
6. Hotel RRR, Mysore
Hotel RRR counts among the iconic eateries in Mysore and for a good reason. The decades-old establishment has made a mark with its Andhra-style meaty delights. They have a small sitting arrangement that seats about fifty people at a time. The menu is also not an extensive one, but it’s the taste and flavors of the food that draw the crowds. It is one of the best places in Mysore to have yummy biryani. Interestingly, the food is served on a banana leaf, no matter what you order.
- Location: Gandhi Square, Chamrajpura, Mysore
- Timings: 11:30 am–4:30 pm, 7 pm –10 pm, every day
- Must-try Items: Mutton Biryani, Chicken Biryani, Andhra Meal, Chilli Chicken, Chicken Fry
- Cost for two: ₹ 300 (approx.)
7. By The Way, Mysore
By The Way is a lovely casual-dining spot, where you can unwind after a tired day. It is designed to resemble a Goan-style shack that stands amidst a green lawn. A pond with artificial waterfall adds to the whole ambiance of the place while a well-designed play area keeps the young visitors busy. Complementing the ambiance is the food that can only be described as tantalizing and delicious. North India, Oriental or Coastal, the place serves everything without compromising on authentic flavors. Top your fulfilling meal with a bowl of apple pie with ice cream or honey-fried noodles.
- Location: Vijay Nagar, Mysore
- Timings: 11:00 am to 11:30 pm; every day
- Must-try Items: Spring Roll, Chicken Manchow Soup, Curry, Momos, Brownie, Neer Dosa
- Cost for two: ₹ 650 (approx.)
8. Tiger Trail, Mysore
Situated inside a heritage building that belonged to the royal family of Mysore, Tiger Trail offers a unique dining experience to foodies. The wide variety of dishes includes North Indian and Chinese dishes, and Italian delicacies as well. The place offers two dining arrangements: one indoors and the other outdoors. The indoors reflect the history of the place and offer a regal dining experience. If you select the outdoors, you will be able to enjoy your food amidst greenery and fresh air. Wherever you may opt to sit, do not miss out on tasting their succulent kebabs, which are among the best you will find in Mysore. The restaurant also serves alcoholic beverages, just in case you want to lift your ‘spirits’ up while eating!
- Location: Royal Orchid Metropole, Jhansi Rani Lakshmi Bai Road, Yadavagiri, Mysore
- Timings: 12pm to 3 pm, 7 pm to 11:30 pm; every day
- Must-try Items: Kalmi kabab, Dohra kabab, Peshawari Boti kabab, Grilled fish, Chicken steak
- Cost for two: ₹ 1150 (approx.)
9. Spring, Mysore
An elegant fine-dining restaurant, Spring is the perfect place to enjoy an impressive buffet in Mysore. Apart from its stylish décor and the tranquil atmosphere that lends it a classy vibe, the place has a great bar to make sure that great food can be accompanied with great drinks! The restaurant also has a special menu curated just for the little foodies. They are also open to serving diners with any type of special dietary requests. But, the most impressive thing about this place is the quality of the food and the prompt service. North Indian, South India or Continental, you will find all your favorites here while the live music adds to your dining experience. If you need a break from all the sightseeing or the hustle bustle of Mysore, this restaurant makes sure you relax over fine food and drinks.
- Location: Radisson Blu Plaza, MG Road, Ittige Gudu, Mysore
- Timings: 7am to 11 pm ; everyday
- Must-try Items: Chicken Biryani, Pizza, Pasta, Chocolate Mousse
- Cost for two: ₹ 1700 (approx.)
- Timings – 01:00 pm to 03:00 pm (every day, lunch) and 07:00 pm to 11:00 pm (every day, dinner)
- Cost – ₹ 1200 + Taxes (lunch and dinner)
While these are our picks of the best veg and non-veg restaurants in Mysore, we are sure you will find other places as well that are equally good. Your gastronomic journey in Mysore will be as good as your sightseeing trip through the city. And the restaurants and the cuisines here will impress you as much as its legendary edifices and gardens. If any of these places is close to your hotel in Mysore, you have another reason to try these. Here’s to foodie bonhomie!