Mahabaleshwar, a whimsical hill station situated in the Sahyadri Mountain Ranges, is an all-year destination with moderate climatic conditions. You won’t find summers very hot while winters are just cold enough and monsoons are all about heavy showers. Wondering when is the best time to visit Mahabaleshwar and taste the delicious strawberries the town is famous for? You can plan a trip and enjoy a happy stay at the resorts and hotels in Mahabaleshwar at any time of the year. However, the period from October to June (summer) is the best season to enjoy the hill town in its full splendor.
Want to know more? Here’s everything you should know about the best season to visit Mahabaleshwar.
Mahabaleshwar in Summers (March to June)
Amiable is the word that best describes Mahabaleshwar’s summer. The season starts in March and continues till June, after which the monsoon rains lash the city. Summers in this hill station is characterized by cool and pleasant climatic conditions. Though temperatures may rise up occasionally, overall, summer in Mahabaleshwar isn’t hot enough to make you feel uncomfortable. So like many other hill stations in the country, summer is the best time to visit Mahabaleshwar.
- Maximum Temperature: 23 to 30 degrees Celsius
- Minimum Temperature: 17 to 19 degrees Celsius
Things to Do in Mahabaleshwar in Summers
From sightseeing and laid-back holidaying to adventure activities, there are many exciting summer activities to do in Mahabaleshwar, which was once the summer capital of the British. Here’s a handpicked list:
- Go boating on Venna Lake
- Enjoy a day full of fun at the amusement parks and water parks in Mahabaleshwar – On Wheelz, Velocity Entertainmentz, and Sherbaug Theme Park and Resort.
- Soak in the nightlife in Mahabaleshwar at some of the famous bars and nightclubs – Unlock-The Resto-bar, The Electrique Mist, Angaare, Plunge Bar, etc.
- Take a trip to the famous temples in Mahabaleshwar – Mahabaleshwar Temple, Krishnabai Temple, and Panchganga Temple
- Enjoy the spectacular architectural beauty of the Morarji Castle
- Spend some time at the beautiful Pratap Singh Park
- Take a trip to Panchgani and Table Land for exceptional photo ops and also indulge in adventure activities like paragliding, trekking, biking, etc.
- Spend a day exploring the Rajpuri Caves
- Go camping at Tapola
- Attend the Mapro Strawberry Festival (March-April)
- Enjoy the spirit of Holi (March)
- Attend Gudi Padwa celebrations (March-April)
Mahabaleshwar in Monsoon (July to October)
Monsoon in Mahabaleshwar starts in July and continues till September. During this season, heavy rainfall sweeps the city and makes the greenery look even more refreshing and beautiful. Temperatures drop significantly and you can expect the climate to turn cold, wet, and misty as well. July experiences 10 to 12 days of constant rain every year. If you are a rain lover or want to enjoy some greenery, monsoons are the best time to visit Mahabaleshwar. By September to October (post-monsoon period) the weather turns nice once again and you can engage in all sorts of outdoor activities.
- Maximum Temperature: 20 to 25 degrees Celsius
- Minimum Temperature: 16 to 17 degrees Celsius
Things to Do in Mahabaleshwar in Monsoon
Monsoon comes in Mahabaleshwar with its own advantages. For one, the lakes and waterfalls in and around the town are replenished with new vigor. It is also a great time to put your feet up in one of the resorts. Here’s our list of things to do in Mahabaleshwar in monsoons:
- Soak in the beauty of the waterfalls in and around Mahabaleshwar right after the rains – Chinaman’s Falls, Dhobi Waterfalls, Lingmala Waterfall, Vajrai Waterfall, etc.
- Visit the serene churches in Mahabaleshwar – Holy Cross Church and Christ Church
- Pamper the foodie in you at the best restaurants in Mahabaleshwar – The Grapevine, Saayali Restaurant, Royal Garden Restaurant, Mapro Garden Restaurant, etc.
- Visit the Wax Museum
- Take a short trip to Khas Plateau (36 km) in September or October when the flowers are in full bloom
- Enjoy a dip at Tiger Spring, a thermal spring in Mahabaleshwar
- Go on a trekking expedition – Rajgarh Fort Trek, Tapola Trek, Connaught Peak Trek, etc.
Mahabaleshwar in Winters (November to February)
Summer is not the only best season to visit Mahabaleshwar. Even winters are mild and pleasant in this hill town, making it an ideal season for holidaymakers to explore the town. But remember, sometimes temperatures can go down and there have been instances when Venna Lake has experienced temperatures as low as -4 degrees Celsius. November marks the onset of winter and the season extends till February.
- Maximum Temperature: 24 to 27 degrees Celsius
- Minimum Temperature: 14 to 15 degrees Celsius
Things to Do in Mahabaleshwar in Winters
Winters in Mahabaleshwar is not just about sightseeing. Since it is the strawberry season, you can enjoy fresh strawberries and other berry products to your heart’s content. Here is how to explore the hill town during winters:
- Spend some time at the scenic lakes in Mahabaleshwar – Venna Lake and Shivsagar Lake (also known as Tapola Lake)
- Explore the magnificent forts near Mahabaleshwar – Pratapgarh Fort, Kamalgad Fort, Rajgad Fort, etc.
- Spend a fun-filled day at Mapro Garden
- Enjoy panoramic views from the famous viewpoints in Mahabaleshwar – Wilson Point, Mumbai Point, Arthur’s Seat, Elphinstone Point, etc.
- Shop at the Town Bazaar
- Visit a strawberry farm and try your hands at picking strawberries
- Attend the Thaipooyam festival at Rajpuri Caves (January-February)
The best thing about Mahabaleshwar is that except for a few seasonal activities like berry picking, you can explore the attractions across seasons. In other words, every season is the best season to visit Mahabaleshwar. So, go ahead and have a berry good holiday in this hilly town!
Recommended Hotels in Mahabaleshwar:
Use Coupon Code "FABSTAR", Get 30% Discount!