Hyderabad, the capital of Telangana, stands on the banks of River Musi in the northern part of the Deccan Plateau. The city has a tropical wet and dry climate and is warm almost all year long, except for the chilly winter season. That is why October to February is regarded as the best time to visit Hyderabad. But that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a trip to the city in any other season. You can visit the land of Nizams in summers and monsoons too provided that you limit sightseeing and add season-appropriate attractions in your itinerary.
Want to find more about the best season to visit Hyderabad apart from winters? Here’s a blog that tells you everything you should know before you plan a trip and book your hotels in Hyderabad.
Hyderabad in Summers (March to June)
Summers are harsh, hot, and humid in Hyderabad. The season starts in March when temperatures start to soar after the wintry days. By May, the season comes to its peak, making it the hottest month of the year. This season continues till June and sometimes extends to July as well, after which the monsoons arrive to bring relief to the scorched city. While the summer days are rather uncomfortable, the nights tend to be more pleasant. The rising mercury levels and humidity make it very challenging to go for outdoor activities. So, summer isn’t the best time to visit Hyderabad for typical touristy purposes.
- Maximum Temperature: 35 to 40 degrees Celsius
- Minimum Temperature: 21 to 27 degrees Celsius
Things to Do in Hyderabad in Summers
If you happen to visit the city during summers, it’s wise to include indoor attractions in the itinerary. Early morning and night-time activities are not a bad idea either. Here’s a list of things to do in Hyderabad in summers:
- Watch an IPL match at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium
- Enjoy a late-evening light and sound show at Golconda Fort or Warangal Fort
- Capture panoramic night views of the city from the Moula Ali Hil
- Take a trip to the hill stations near Hyderabad – Ananthagiri Hills (75 km), Srisailam (215 km), Nallamala Hills (230 km), etc.
- Visit the water parks in Hyderabad – Wonderla, Ocean Park, Escape Water Park, Jal Vihar, etc.
- Seek respite from the heat at Snow World
- Enjoy the summer special Lassi, Kulfi, and Falooda at some of the famous ice scream shops in Hyderabad – Masqati Dairy, Matwale Doodh Ghar, Caring Goals Kulfi Falooda, etc.
- Take a Ramadan night walk and delish the famous Hyderabadi Haleem and other Iftar items – Shah Ghouse Café, Akbhar, Pista House, Charminar food stalls, etc.
- Keep yourself cool with a glass (or two) of beer at the pubs in Hyderabad – Prost Brewpub, 10 Downing Street, Over The Moon, Aqua, Komatose, etc.
- Experience the illumination at Charminar after sundown
- Spend a day shopping and watching back-to-back movies at the air-conditioned shopping malls in Hyderabad – City Center, Inorbit, Forum, Hyderabad Central, etc.
- Celebrate cultural festivals and events
- Ugadi (March-April)
- Ramadan (May -June)
- Hyderabad Arts Festival (Usually starts on the second Saturday of April)
Hyderabad in Monsoon (July to September)
Monsoons come packed with moderate to heavy rains in Hyderabad, offering relief from the blistering summer heat. With the southwest monsoon lashing the city, the temperature comes down to agreeable levels but the humidity level rises up. As such, many don’t consider it to be the best season to visit Hyderabad. However, if you love rains, you will find the monsoons a great period for your travel plans. Adding to the appeal of the monsoon days are the fresh greenery and the cool breeze that blows in evenings, making the weather pleasant.
- Maximum Temperature: 30 to 31 degrees Celsius
- Minimum Temperature: 22 to 23 degrees Celsius
Things to do in Hyderabad in Monsoons
In addition to exploring indoor attractions, you will find a few fun things to do in Hyderabad during monsoons. It is also a great time to enjoy the legendary cuisines the city is famous for. Our suggestions include:
- Visit the waterfalls near Hyderabad – Ethipothala Waterfalls (160 km), Mallela Theertham Waterfall (180 km), Bheemuni Paadam Waterfalls (200 km), etc.
- Take a trip to one of the monsoon getaways – Nagarjuna Sagar (150 km), Bidar (150 km), Belum Caves (350 km), etc.
- Explore a few indoor attractions like museums, palaces, temples, and churches – Chowmahalla Palace, Salar Jung Museum, Birla Temple, BM Birla Science Museum, etc.
- Indulge in a sumptuous dinner at the best restaurants in Hyderabad – Almond House, Tatva, Paradise Biriyani, Mandil, etc.
- Take a gastronomic tour through the rain-soaked food streets of Hyderabad – Charminar Area, Sindhi Colony, Jubilee Hills, Mozamjahi Market, etc.
- Soak in the rain-drenched charm of the city with piping hot Irani chai and Osmania biscuits at various Karachi bakery outlets
- Enjoy nature’s bountiful at the Hyderabad Botanical garden or KBR National Park
Hyderabad in Winters (October to February)
During winters, the best season to visit Hyderabad, temperatures dip to a soothing level. Starting in October, the season reaches its peak in December, which makes it the coldest month of the year. The weather is chilly as well as pleasant from December to February. During this season, the days remain sunny while the nights turn colder, making it conducive to sightseeing and outdoor activities.
- Maximum Temperature: 28to 32 degrees Celsius
- Minimum Temperature: 15 to 21 degrees Celsius
Things to Do in Hyderabad in Winters
If you are in the city during winters, you can engage in all sorts of tourist activities without having to worry about the weather. Here is a hand-picked list of things to do in Hyderabad during winters:
- Visit Ramoji Film City
- Take a ferry ride to the Buddha statue located in the middle of Hussain Sagar
- Experience the culture of the region at Shilparamam Arts and Crafts Village
- Explore the historical places in Hyderabad – Charminar, Golkonda Fort, Qutub Shani Tombs, Makkah/Mecca Masjid, etc.
- Enjoy a sunset at the lakes in and around Hyderabad – Hussain Sagar Lake, Osman Sagar Lake, Shamirpet Lake, Himayat Sagar Lake, etc.
- Plan a visit to Nehru Zoological Park
- Spend an evening at the parks in Hyderabad – Indira Park, Sanjeeviah Park, Lumbini Park, NTR Gardens, etc.
- Go trekking to some of the popular trekking sites like Ananthagiri, Ghanpur Fort, Medak Fort, Bhongir Fort, Koilkonda Fort, etc.
- Indulge in adventure activities like zip lining, rock climbing, paragliding, etc. at the Great Hyderabad Adventure Club
- Partake in festivals and other annual fiestas
- Deccan Festival or Hyderabad Festival (February-March)
- Floral festival of Bathukamma (September-October)
- Lumbini Festival (December)
- Hyderabad Book Fair (December)
- Annual Rose Show at Jubilee Hall, Public Gardens (January)
- Hyderabad Literary Festival (December-January)
Now that you know all about the best time to visit Hyderabad and the various activities that you can engage in each season, why waste time? And whether you plan your visit in summers, winters or monsoons, don’t forget to treat yourself to a plate of aromatic Hyderabadi Biriyani.
Recommended Hotels in Hyderabad:
Use Coupon Code "STAYFAB", Get UPTO 60% Discount!