April, the beginning of the summer season in India, is that time of the year when the sun shines brighter and the flora and fauna gives a sigh of bliss. Although a few regions of India become a little hot during this month, there are some which look immensely beautiful. However, being the start of the new fiscal year and school sessions, there is limited tourism across the country. With lesser crowds, the April trip can be rewarding, and guess what? It will turn out to be pocket-friendly as well.
So go ahead and plan a trip to any of the below destinations now!
Best Places to Visit in April:
Kashmir is one of the former princely states of India which is adorned with magnificent mountains, tranquil lakes and artistically manicured gardens. The beauty of Kashmir accentuates during the month of April as the snow on the mountains starts fading away and the landscape enlivens by greenery. Referred to as the ‘Heaven on Earth’ by Mughal Emperor Jahangir, Kashmir is an ideal destination to explore with your loved ones in April.
- Best Places to Visit in Kashmir: Pahalgam, Srinagar, Gulmarg, Sonamarg, Patnitop and Wular Lake
- Top Things to Do in Kashmir: Enjoy a shikara ride and stay at a boathouse on Dal Lake, indulge in water sports on Wular Lake, trek till Patnitop and visit Jamia Masjid of Srinagar
Mussoorie, the Queen of Hills, is among the top tourist destinations in India. Every year, thousands of tourists swarm this high-altitude town in Uttarakhand for its umpteen sightseeing options including stunning waterfalls, beautiful gardens and quaint shrines. If you want to escape the crowd and explore its various attractions in peace, April is the best to time.
- Best Places to Visit in Mussoorie: Kempty Falls, Gun Hill, Sir George Everest House, Jharipani Falls, Mall Road, Mussoorie Lake, Nag Devta Temple and Lal Tibba
- Top Things to Do in Mussoorie: Boating on Mussoorie Lake, zip-lining, camping, fishing, biking and other adventure activities at Mussoorie Adventure Park or Snow Adventure Zone and shopping on Mall Road
Udaipur, popularly known as the ‘Venice of the East’ or ‘City of Lakes’, is famous for its centuries-old royal architecture, man-made sparkling lakes and well-maintained gardens. The city holds great historical significance as it once served as the capital of Mewar. During summers, the city is immensely sunny and hot due to which it is advisable to visit Udaipur during the winter season. However during April, the evenings are pleasant, roads are less crowded and hotel prices are relatively low hence, you can explore it in peace.
- Best Places to Visit in Udaipur: City Palace, Fateh Sagar Lake, Lake Pichola and Saheliyon ki Bari
- Top Things to Do in Udaipur: Ride a speedboat on Fateh Sagar Lake, watch the sunset on Lake Pichola, indulge in shopping at one of the Indian handicrafts shops and relive the golden era of the Rajputana Empire at Pratap Gaurav Kendra
Cherrapunji is a scenic hill town nestled in the lush green north-eastern state of Meghalaya. Hundreds of tourists visit this hill station every year for exploring the unique ‘Living Root Bridges’ which are formed naturally by the roots of rubber trees. Flora and fauna is abundant in this town which looks even more beautiful during the month of April.
- Best Places to Visit in Cherrapunji: Noh-Kalikai Fall, Mawsmai Cave, Kynrem Falls and Dain-Thlen Falls
- Top Things to Do in Cherrapunji: Find Living Root Bridges in the dense forests, trek at the David Scott Trail and indulge in adventure activities at Double Decker Root Bridge Trek
Amidst the Dhauladhar mountain range of Himachal is the scenic town of Dalhousie which is known for its colonial-era architecture and lush surroundings. Besides peace-seekers, Dalhousie is thronged by numerous adventure enthusiasts for the town offers trekking, paragliding and horse riding activities too. The best time to visit Dalhousie is from March to May.
- Best Places to Visit in Dalhousie: Panchpula, Tibetan Market, St. John’s Church, Kalatop Khajjiar Sanctuary, Sach Pass and St. Francis Church
- Top Things to Do in Dalhousie: Indulge in shopping at the Tibetan market, seek the Lord’s blessing at St. John’s Church & trek till the Dainkund Peak
Bhopal, the capital of Madhya Pradesh, is acknowledged as one of the greenest cities in India. Being dotted with several lakes, the major ones being Bhojtal or Upper Lake and Lower Lake, it has earned the sobriquet of ‘City of Lakes’. Although the ideal time to explore this beautiful city is considered to be from October to March, April is also a good time to explore Bhopal as the temperature during the daytime is bearable and the evenings are pleasant.
- Best Places to Visit in Bhopal: Bhojtal, Van Vihar National Park, Taj-ul-Masjid and Bharat Bhavan
- Top Things to Do in Bhopal: Enjoy boating at one of the lakes in Bhopal, go street food sampling at Sarafa Bazaar and explore the National Museum of Mankind
Known for its expansive green tea gardens, magnificent hills, stunning churches and exotic flora and fauna, Ooty is yet another popular tourist spot in India. This hill town in Tamil Nadu can be best experienced between the months of October and June.
- Best Places to Visit in Ooty: Government Botanical Garden, Government Rose Garden and The Tea Factory and The Tea Museum
- Top Things to Do in Ooty: Enjoy the view from Doddabetta Peak, witness the footprints of Bollywood at 9th Mile Shooting Point and boating on Ooty Lake
Surrounded by magnificent hills and abundant greenery, Manali is among the top tourist destinations in North India. Numerous travellers visit this hill station every year for delving in its mystical Himalayan charm. While snow lovers prefer December and January months, families plan a tour between May-June. Visiting Manali in March-April is a great idea as there are fewer tourists (unlike rest of the year).
- Best Places to Visit in Manali: Hidimba Devi Temple, Manu Temple, Manali Sanctuary, Mall Road and Rohtang Pass
- Top Things to Do in Manali: Paragliding, camping, rafting and mountain biking
Amritsar is home to one of the most revered shrines of the country – the Golden Temple! Besides, it is home to several remnants of the pre-independent India and handicrafts shopping places, which evoke tourists’ interest. As Amritsar sees extreme winters and summers, April is a good time to explore this holy city.
- Best Places to visit in Amritsar: Harmandir Sahib (Golden Temple), Akal Takht, Maharaja Ranjit Singh Museum, Jallianwala Bagh and Durgiana Temple
- Top Things to Do in Amritsar: Indulge in the holy feast at Gurudwara Harmandir Sahib, unfold the chapters of history at Jallianwala Bagh and shop for phulkari dupattas and leather juttis at Hall Bazar
Read more: Top 5 shopping places in Amritsar
Gangtok is the capital of one of India’s greenest states, Sikkim. Known for its breath-taking landscape, this hill city is on the wishlist of holidaymakers as well as thrill seekers.