The rumbling sound of the thunders; the sweet refreshing smell of the soil and the tiny droplets of water on green leaves, the monsoons in July not only bring a much-needed respite from the scorching heat and high humidity of the summers, but also make for a soothing experience. Imagine what can be better than this! Well, if you can’t think, then leave it to us because we have already figured that out – Travelling. You might say who travels in the rainy season and our answer would be a lot of people like you! Yes, every year thousands of Indians travel across the country to some of the best destinations that are worth exploring in the monsoons. Here is a list of such 20 amazing places to visit in July and explore their real beauty:
Places to Visit in India in July Month
“God’s Own Country” – Kerala truly comes alive in July with overflowing rivers, lush vegetation and coconut trees swaying to the tune of winds. The scenic beauty of the backwaters of Alleppey and the verdant hill station of Munnar and the waterfalls of Athirapally and Vazhachal is at the peak during monsoons.
- Best Places to visit in Kerala: Munnar, Alleppey, Periyar, Vembanad and Ponmudi
- Top Things to do in Kerala: Stay in a houseboat or treehouse, take a spice plantation tour, watch Theyyam and Kalaripayattu, cruise on the backwaters, and indulge in a therapeutic Ayurvedic massage
- Weather of Kerala: The average temperature of Kerala ranges between 24 and 30 degrees Celsius in the month of July
- How to Reach
- Nearest Airport: Trivandrum International Airport, Cochin International Airport, Calicut International Airport and Kannur International Airport
- Nearest Train Station: Thiruvananthapuram Central, Ernakulam Junction and Ernakulam Town, Kozhikode, Thrissur, Kannur, Kollam Junction, Aluva, Palakkad Junction, Kottayam, Shoranur Junction, Thalassery
2. Mahabaleshwar, Maharashtra
Tucked away in the lap of Mother Nature, the picturesque hill station of Mahabaleshwar in Maharashtra is one of the best destinations to explore in the month of July. Its foggy weather, mild showers and refreshing scent of the verdant greenery all around is an ideal setting for a romantic vacation. And if it has to be doubled with some adventure, then trekking to the spectacular vantage points of the hill station can be a wonderful idea.
- Best Places to visit in Mahabaleshwar: Venna Lake, Chinaman’s Falls, Lingmala Waterfall, Dhobi Waterfall, Wilson Point, Pratapgarh Fort and Arthur’s Seat
- Top Things to do in Mahabaleshwar: Enjoy a boat ride at Venna Lake, explore the intriguing Rajpuri Caves, shop at Town Bazar, visit Wax Museum and take a trip to the famous viewpoints of Mahabaleshwar
- Weather of Mahabaleshwar: The average temperature ranges from 19 to 27 degrees Celsius making it a perfect getaway during the month of July
- How to Reach
- Nearest Airport: Pune International Airport (126 km)
- Nearest Train Station: Pune Junction (115 km)
Read more: Most-loved Restaurants in Mahabaleshwar
Goa, owing to its sun-kissed beaches, effervescent nightlife, colorful markets and colonial-era churches, receives hordes of tourists across the year. The only time where there is a lull in tourist footfall is during monsoons, and we have found out that this is the period when cheap tickets to Goa are on sale; hotels lower their prices and best of all, there is less crowd. Add to that the plenty opportunity to go on scenic nature walks, trekking, enjoying lip-smacking food and Goa’s happening nightlife; what else can you ask for in July!
- Best Places to visit in Goa: Arvalem Falls, Basilica of Bom Jesus, Sé Catedral de Santa Catarina, Dudhsagar Falls, Fort Aguada, Chapora Fort and Carambolim Lake
- Top Things to do in Goa: Indulge in water sports at the beaches, shop at the flea market, relish mouth-watering Goan delicacies, try your luck at casinos and go clubbing.
- Weather of Goa: The average daytime temperature of Goa ranges between 29 and 32 degrees Celsius while at night, it falls down to a minimum of 24 degrees
- How to Reach
- Nearest Airport: Goa Airport (Dabolim Airport)
- Nearest Train Station: Madgaon Junction and Vasco da Gama
Read more: Enjoy the Glitzy Nightlife of Goa
4. Coorg, Karnataka
Called as the ‘Scotland of India’ – the hill town of Coorg in Karnataka is famous for its cool climate, tea & spice plantations and the lush expanse of greenery. Come July, the vistas of the town become even more awe-inspiring and the waterfalls at Irupu and Chelavara are perfect examples of that. If you want some adrenaline rush, then head to Barapole River – the overflowing river can’t get any better for rafting.
- Best Places to visit in Coorg: Tadiandamol Peak, Raja’s Seat, Madikeri Fort, Cauvery Nisargadhama, Omkareshwara Temple, Nagarhole National Park and Namdroling Monastery
- Top Things to do in Coorg: Explore the surreal beauty of Coorg’s waterfalls, spend time at Dubare Elephant Camp, white water rafting at Barapole River, witness wildlife at Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary and relish Kodava food
- Weather in July: The temperature during the day is around 20 degrees Celsius and at night, it drops down to 13 degrees Celsius
- How to Reach
- Nearest Airport: Mangalore International Airport (144 km)
- Nearest Train Station: Mysuru Junction (117 km)
5. Ooty, Tamil Nadu
‘The Queen of Hills’ – Ooty has mesmerized tourists from across the globe over the years, and such is its charm that you simply wish to come here over and over again. The charm of this hill town doubles up in monsoons when its lush green tea plantations are greener than ever; its scenic lakes are overflowing and its waterfalls make for pretty scintillating sight. In Ooty, walking in the rain with clouds passing by just above you will certainly become an experience of a lifetime!
- Best Places to visit in Ooty: Pykara Falls, Kalhatti Falls, Stone House, Ferrnhills Royale Palace, Avalanche Lake, Mariamman Temple, Rose Garden, Botanical Garden and Doddabetta Peak
- Top Things to do in Ooty: Enjoy a boat ride on Ooty Lake, shop for Nilgiri products, explore through tea estates and take a trip of a lifetime on the UNESCO-listed toy train
- Weather of Ooty: The average temperature falls between 10 and 17 degrees Celsius in the month of July
- How to Reach
- Nearest Airport: Coimbatore International Airport (85 km)
- Nearest Train Station: Mettupalayam (50 km)
Read more: Delve in the Nightlife of Ooty
6. Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu
Kodaikanal in Tamil Nadu, referred to as the Princess of Hill Stations, is a perfect romantic getaway, especially in the month of July, when the monsoon season adds to its beauty by manifold. The verdant vegetation all around and gushing waterfalls – Silver Cascade, Bear Shola and Fairy are a treat to the eyes!
- Best Places to visit in Kodaikanal: Kodaikanal Lake, Dolphin’s Nose, Kurinji Andavar Temple, Kodaikanal Solar Observatory, Byrant Park and Pillar Rocks
- Top Things to do in Kodaikanal: Witness the majestic waterfalls, savor coffee chocolates, enjoy boating and other water sports at Kodaikanal Lake, and capture the beauty of Nilgiri mountains in your camera
- Weather of Kodaikanal: The average temperature ranges from 12 to 18 degrees Celsius in July
- How to Reach
- Nearest Airport: Madurai Airport (130 km)
- Nearest Train Station: Kodaikanal Road (80 km)
Read more: Top Restaurants in Kodaikanal
7. Udaipur, Rajasthan
Udaipur, home to majestic palaces, colorful markets, charming lakes and revered temples, is one of the top tourist destinations in India. July presents the perfect opportunity to explore the city in a pleasant weather, especially the Sajjan Garh Palace (also known as Monsoon Palace), the serene Lake Pichola and the beautiful Fateh Sagar Lake. This is one of the months when there are fewer crowds in the city and the hotel prices are low too!
- Best Places to visit in Udaipur: Lake Palace, City Palace, Saheliyon ki Bari, Fateh Sagar Lake, Maharana Pratap Memorial, Vintage Car Museum, Jagmandir, Bagore ki Haveli and Sajjangarh Palace
- Top Things to do in Udaipur: Spend some quality time at picturesque lakes of Fateh Sagar & Jaisamand, indulge in a boat cruise at Lake Pichola, explore Sajjangarh Wildlife Sanctuary and Shilpgram, and shop at Hathi Pol Bazaar
- Weather of Udaipur: The average temperature is about 30 degrees during the day and 23 degrees at night
- How to Reach
- Nearest Airport: Maharana Pratap Airport
- Nearest Train Station: Udaipur
Read more: Best Shopping Places in Udaipur
8. Mussoorie, Uttarakhand
The quaint hill station of Mussoorie in Uttarakhand is another ideal place to explore in July when its magnificent waterfalls – Jharipani and Kempty Falls look truly amazing; its vantage points offer some scintillating vistas of the verdant forests and small villages tucked within them, and boating becomes a fun-filled experience at the Mussoorie Lake.
- Best Places to visit in Mussoorie: Lal Tibba, Gun Hill Point, Kempty Falls, Jharipani Falls, Company Garden and Cloud’s End
- Top Things to do in Mussoorie: Go on a trekking trail to Dodital, Nag Tibba or Har ki Dun, indulge in roller skating, shop at the wonderful Mall Road and savor authentic Garhwali dishes
- Weather of Mussoorie: The average temperature in July is about 23 degrees Celsius during the day and 15 degrees Celsius at night
- How to Reach
- Nearest Airport: Jolly Grant Airport (55 km)
- Nearest Train Station: Dehradun (33 km)
9. Agumbe, Karnataka
Located in Karnataka, Agumbe is called as the ‘Cherrapunji of South India’, and July is the month when the trekking season kicks off here. The beauty of this place grows manifold in monsoons when its verdant valleys and scenic mountains take center stage. It can be a challenging yet an adrenaline pumping experience to trek in this season in Agumbe, but that’s the fun of it.
- Best Places to visit in Agumbe: Jogigundi Falls, Onake Abbi Falls, Gopala Krishna Temple, Sunset Point and Koodlu Teertha Falls
- Top Things to do in Agumbe: Explore its rich flora and fauna, visit Agumbe Rainforest Research Station and trek to its picturesque waterfalls
- Weather of Agumbe: In July, the average temperature ranges from 15 to 23 degrees Celsius
- How to Reach
- Nearest Airport: Mangalore International Airport (90 km)
- Nearest Train Station: Udupi (50 km)
10. Valley of Flowers, Uttarakhand
July is the month when Valley of Flowers can be seen at its absolute best as there is lush greenery all around and the exotic flowers including saxifrage, wild roses, geraniums, blue corydalis, etc. look refreshing as ever. With the backdrop of the majestic Himalayan mountains, the Valley of Flowers is nothing short of heaven on earth!
- Best Places to visit in Valley of Flowers: Valley of Flowers National Park, Hemkund Sahib and Puspawati River
- Top Things to do in Valley of Flowers: Witness rich flora and fauna at Nanda Devi National Park and Valley of Flowers National Park
- Weather of Valley of Flowers: The average temperature ranges from 15 to 17 degrees Celsius in July
- How to Reach
- Nearest Airport: Jolly Grant Airport (280 km)
- Nearest Train Station: Rishikesh (260 km)
11. Ladakh, Kashmir
Visiting Ladakh, aka the biker’s paradise, in July, is a boon for those who wish to enjoy the snow but can’t stand freezing temperatures. The beautiful lakes, mystic valleys and eye-soothing sceneries make Ladakh one of the must-visit places in India. Moreover, the snow-covered mountains and unique architectural gems make Ladakh one of the best honeymoon destinations in India in July.
- Best Places to Visit in Ladakh:Pangong Tso Lake, Thiksey Monastery, Khardung-la Pass, Markha Valley, Nubra Valley, Hemis National Park, Royal Leh Palace, Shanti Stupa, Magnetic Hill, Kargil
- Top Things to Do in Ladakh: Indus River rafting, Chadar trek or the frozen river trek, motor-biking or cycling around pristine landscapes, trek to Markha Valley, camping, white leopard spotting, camel safari in Nubra Valley
- Weather of Ladakh in July: 25 degrees Celsius to 12 degrees Celsius
- How to Reach Ladakh
- Nearest Airport: Kushok Bakula Rimpochee Airport is the nearest Airport.
- Nearest Train Station: Jammu Tawi Railway Station
12. Andharban, Maharashtra
Lonavala is so much more than visiting Tiger Hill and Bushi Dam. There are many unexplored spots here that make Lonavala a paradise for monsoon lovers. Andharban, situated 46 km away, is one such unexplored gem in Maharashtra. Andharban is a dense forest with mesmerising waterfalls popping up here and there to surprise you. Rains in July lend new life to the already lush hills of Lonavala, and that is why it is one of the best places to visit in July in India. You can go for many small and medium-size treks around the hill station to soak in nature in its unadulterated form.
- Best Places to Visit in Lonavala: Tiger Hill, Lonavala Market, Bushi Dam, Rajmachi Fort, Lonavala Lake, Aamby Valley, Dukes’ Nose, Karla Caves, Balumama Mandir, Pawna Lake
- Top Things to Do in Lonavala: Thrilling rides at Adlabs Imagica, exciting activities at Della Adventure Park, Balumama Mandir trek and breath-taking views from the hilltop, camping near Pawna Lake and Lonavala Lake, paragliding in Kamshet, and hot air balloon safari
- Weather of Lonavala: The average temperature ranges from 25 degrees Celsius to 20 degrees Celsius in July, accompanied by plenty of rainfall
- How to Reach Lonavala
- Nearest Airport: Mumbai International Airport, Pune International Airport
- Nearest Train Station: Mumbai Railway Station, Pune Railway Station, Lonavala Railway Station
13. Rishikesh, Uttarakhand
The ‘Yoga Capital of the World’ offers some of the best sightseeing in July. Rishikesh is peppered with yoga ashrams, offbeat hostels, and quaint and rustic cafes that will make you feel at peace. The white sand on the river belt of Ganga is a sight to behold. In addition, Rishikesh boasts some truly wonderful treks and waterfalls, making it the best holiday destination to visit in July in India.
- Best Places to Visit in Rishikesh:Lakshman Jula, Ganga River, Ram Jula, Triveni Ghat, Shivpuri, Jumping Heights, Tera Manzil Mandir, Shri Bharat Mandir, Neelkanth Mahadev Temple, The Beatles Ashram, Byasi, Rishi Kund, Neel Grah Waterfall.
- Top Things to Do in Rishikesh: Ganga rafting, visiting ashrams and temples, bungee jumping and cliff jumping, trekking to waterfalls, Ganga aarti in the evening, experiencing the divine power of yoga in yoga ashrams, camping on the riverbank.
- Weather of Rishikesh: The average temperature ranges from 25 degrees Celsius to 33 degrees Celsius in July.
- How to Reach Rishikesh
- Nearest Airport: Dehradun Airport, Delhi International Airport.
- Nearest Train Station: Haridwar Railway Station, Rishikesh Railway Station, and Dehradun Railway Station.
14. Gokarna, Karnataka
If you want to enjoy the tranquil beach life but wish to steer clear of Goa’s hustle and bustle, Gokarna is one of the best places to visit in July in India. You can spend your time lazing around on the beaches, visiting places with historical and spiritual significance, and photographing nature in its pristine glory.
- Best Places to Visit in Gokarna: Om Beach, Sri Mahabaleshwar Swami Temple, Mirjana Fort, Paradise Beach, Shiva Cave, Half-Moon Beach, Yana Caves
- Top Things to Do in Gokarna: Beach trekking, banana boat ride, beach camping, beach yoga, flea market shopping, scuba diving at Netrani Island, parasailing, dolphin spotting near Om Beach, surfing on the waves
- Weather of Gokarna: The average temperature ranges from 24 degrees Celsius to 29 degrees Celsius in July, making it warm and nice
- How to Reach Gokarna
- Nearest Airport: Dabolim Airport in Goa
- Nearest Train Station: Gokarna Railway Station, Ankola Railway Station, and Goa Railway Station
15. Mount Abu, Rajasthan
Situated in the lap of Aravalli Mountain Range – Mount Abu is the only hill station in Rajasthan. Just like the state it is a part of, Mount Abu has a rich culture and history that dates back to the epics of Mahabharata. The hill station receives relatively less rainfall in the month of July but has a cool climate for tourists to enjoy sightseeing and exploring ancient Hindu and Jain temples. Mount Abu can be your perfect escape from the urban din and is one of the most popular honeymoon destinations in India in July.
- Best Places to Visit in Mount Abu:Dilwara Jain Temple, Mount Abu Wildlife Sanctuary, Nakki Lake, Guru Shikhar, Achalgarh Fort, Peace Park, Mount Abu Bazaar, Universal Peace Hall, Toad Rock, Honeymoon Point
- Top Things to Do in Mount Abu: Boating on Nakki Lake, trekking, rock climbing, crocodile spotting at Trevor’s Tank, getting soaked at Dhrudhiya Waterfalls
- Weather of Mount Abu: The average temperature ranges from 18 degrees Celsius to 24 degrees Celsius in July, making it pleasant to explore the hill station
- How to Reach Mount Abu
- Nearest Airport: Udaipur Airport, Ahmedabad Airport
- Nearest Train Station: Abu Road Railway Station, Udaipur Railway Station
16. Nainital, Uttarakhand
Nainital, the City of Lakes, is situated in Uttarakhand and dotted with awe-inspiring landscapes, misty mountains, and of course, tranquil lakes. In fact, you will come across seven picture-perfect lakes here, with Nainital Lake being the heart of this beautiful hill station. Legend has it that one of Sati’s eyes had fallen here, creating the lake. Also, the word Nainital originates from Naini, which means eyes, and Tal, which means lake. During monsoon, light drizzles lend a fresh lease of life to the forests all around, making Nainital one of the best places to go in July in India.
- Best Places to Visit in Nainital:Nainital Lake, Tiffin Top, High Altitude Zoo, Eco Cave Gardens, Bhimtal Lake, Kilbury Bird Sanctuary, Raj Bhawan- Governor’s House
- Top Things to Do in Nainital: Boating on the Nainital Lake, enjoying the ropeway, jungle safari rides at Jim Corbett, viewing sunrises from Tiffin Top, shopping on the Mall Road and at the local Tibetan Market, rock climbing
- Weather of Nainital: The average temperature ranges from 21 degrees Celsius to 24 degrees Celsius in July, offering the perfect climate to enjoy Nainital
- How to Reach Nainital
- Nearest Airport: Pantnagar Airport, Delhi Airport
- Nearest Train Station: Kathgodam Railway Station
17. Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh
Soak in the virgin beauty of this quaint hill station or dive deep into its rich history – the town has something to offer for all kinds of travellers. Famous for several Buddhist monasteries, the hill station sees a large influx of peace seekers who wish to get away from the stress of city life. Tawang is also home to many glacial lakes with crystal-clear blue water, including Sangetser and Sela. If you want to experience clear blue skies – sunny mornings and romantic evenings, then Tawang is one of the places to visit in July in India.
- Best Places to Visit in Tawang: Sela Pass, Bumla Pass, Madhuri Lake, Jaswant Garh, Tawang Buddhist Monastery, Nuranang Waterfalls, Tawang War Memorial, Pangateng Tso Lake, Gorsam Chorten, Nagula Lake
- Top Things to Do in Tawang: Meditate at the Taktsang Gompa, hike to the Gorichen Peak, go shopping at the Tibetan Settlement Market
- Weather of Tawang: The average temperature ranges from 5 degrees Celsius to 12 degrees Celsius
- How to Reach Tawang:
- Nearest Airport: Salonibari Airport, Guwahati Airport.
- Nearest Train Station: Tezpur Railway Station.
18. Wayanad, Kerala
Wayanad is a dreamy getaway, featuring misty mountains, magnificent forests, pristine rivers, and cascading waterfalls. The forests here are believed to have been inhabited since the Neolithic age. Ancient temples surrounded by forests and mountains add a mystic vibe to the place. The wildlife sanctuary here is home to tigers, elephants and leopards, a delight for adventure-seekers. If one wishes to experience the rainfall but stay away from the heavy downpour of the peak rainy season, then Wayanad is one of the places to visit in July in South India.
- Best Places to Visit in Wayanad:Chembra Peak, Banasura Sagar Dam, Kuruva Island, The Bamboo Factory, Pookode Lake, Tholpetty Wildlife Sanctuary, Edakkal Caves, Lakkidi Viewpoint, Meenmutty Waterfalls, Neelimala Viewpoint, Irupu Falls
- Top Things to Do in Wayanad: Mountain hikes, ziplining from mountain tops, exploring the E3 theme park, visiting tea estates, boating on Pookode Lake, trekking to Chembra Peak, wildlife safari at Tholpetty Wildlife Sanctuary, camping, cycling, rafting, and caving, taking a dip in Soochipara Falls, bamboo raft rides to Kuruva Islands
- Weather of Waynad: The average temperature ranges from 20 degrees Celsius to 25 degrees Celsius in July, accompanied by heavy rainfall
- How to Reach Wayanad
- Nearest Airport: Karipur International Airport, Calicut International Airport.
- Nearest Train Station: Kozhikode Railway Station.
19. Dalhousie, Himachal Pradesh
Lush meadows and rolling hills dotted generously with fir and pine trees make Dalhousie one of the best honeymoon destinations in India in July. Nestled cosily in Himachal Pradesh, the town of Dalhousie is spread across five high-altitude hills. The scenery is straight out of a fairy tale. Colonial and Victorian architectures pepper the town and remind you that it was once an official summer retreat of the British troops. July in Dalhousie is full of sunshine and fresh air. So, anyone wishing to bask in the sun and enjoy cold weather can head to Dalhousie.
- Best Places to Visit in Dalhousie: Khajjar, Panchpula, Sach Pass, Dainkund Peak, Chamera Lake, Satdhara Falls, Bara Pather, Bakrota Hills, Tibetan Market, Ganji Pahari, Rock Garden, Chamba Town, Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary
- Top Things to Do in Dalhousie: Boat ride on Chamera Lake, day picnic in Khajjar, hiking to Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary, experiencing the healing magic of the water from Subhash Baoli, shopping at the Tibetan market
- Weather of Dalhousie: The average temperature ranges from 11 degrees Celsius to 23 degrees Celsius in July with occasional rainfall
- How to Reach Dalhousie
- Nearest Airport: Gaggal Airport in Kangra
- Nearest Train Station: Pathankot Railway Station
20. Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh
Known for being the holy residence of the exiled Tibetan monk Dalai Lama, Dharamshala is cited as the ‘Little Lhasa of India’. It will leave you spellbound with its snow-clad mountains, dense deodar and cedar forests, and gorgeous valleys. Explore the Tibetan Buddhist culture and unwind in the tranquil setting of the town. The pleasant and mild climate makes it one of the best holiday destinations in India in July, so that you can escape the harsh summer heat.
- Best Places to Visit in Dharamshala:Triund Hill, Dharamshala Cricket Stadium, Library of Tibetan Works and Archives, St John In Wilderness Church, War Memorial, Gyuto Monastery, Dal Lake, Tea Gardens, Tsuglag Khang, Bhagsu Waterfall, Kangra Valley, Dharamkot
- Top Things to Do in Dharamshala: Paragliding, hiking at Triund, camping on hilltops, exploring the Kangra Valley, finding inner peace at a monastery
- Weather of Dharamshala: The average temperature ranges from 20 degrees Celsius to 27 degrees Celsius in July with light to moderate rainfall.
- How to Reach Dharamshala
- Nearest Airport: Kangra Airport.
- Nearest Train Station: Pathankot Railway Station.
So, pack your bags and gear up for a peaceful, interesting or adventurous July in India, whatever floats your boat. There are plenty of places to explore, enjoy and capture on your camera. Just make sure you make bookings in advance to land the best deals.