The rumbling sound of the thunders; the sweet refreshing smell of the soil and the tiny droplets of water on green leaves, the monsoons in July not only bring a much-needed respite from the scorching heat and high humidity of the summers, but also make for a soothing experience. Imagine what can be better than this! Well, if you can’t think, then leave it to us because we have already figured that out – Travelling. You might say who travels in the rainy season and our answer would be a lot of people like you! Yes, every year thousands of Indians travel across the country to some of the best destinations that are worth exploring in the monsoons. Here is a list of such 10 amazing places to visit in July and explore their real beauty:
1. Kerala, India
“God’s Own Country” – Kerala truly comes alive in July with overflowing rivers, lush vegetation and coconut trees swaying to the tune of winds. The scenic beauty of the backwaters of Alleppey and the verdant hill station of Munnar and the waterfalls of Athirapally and Vazhachal is at the peak during monsoons.
- Best Places to visit in Kerala: Munnar, Alleppey, Periyar, Vembanad and Ponmudi
- Top Things to do in Kerala: Stay in a houseboat or treehouse, take a spice plantation tour, watch Theyyam and Kalaripayattu, cruise on the backwaters, and indulge in a therapeutic Ayurvedic massage
2. Mahabaleshwar, India
Tucked away in the lap of Mother Nature, the picturesque hill station of Mahabaleshwar in Maharashtra is one of the best destinations to explore in the month of July. Its foggy weather, mild showers and refreshing scent of the verdant greenery all around is an ideal setting for a romantic vacation. And if it has to be doubled with some adventure, then trekking to the spectacular vantage points of the hill station can be a wonderful idea.
- Best Places to visit in Mahabaleshwar: Venna Lake, Chinaman’s Falls, Lingmala Waterfall, Dhobi Waterfall, Wilson Point, Pratapgarh Fort and Arthur’s Seat
- Top Things to do in Mahabaleshwar: Enjoy a boat ride at Venna Lake, explore the intriguing Rajpuri Caves, shop at Town Bazar, visit Wax Museum and take a trip to the famous viewpoints of Mahabaleshwar
Read more: Most-loved Restaurants in Mahabaleshwar
3. Goa, India
Goa, owing to its sun-kissed beaches, effervescent nightlife, colorful markets and colonial-era churches, receives hordes of tourists across the year. The only time where there is a lull in tourist footfall is during monsoons, and we have found out that this is the period when cheap tickets to Goa are on sale; hotels lower their prices and best of all, there is less crowd. Add to that the plenty opportunity to go on scenic nature walks, trekking, enjoying lip-smacking food and Goa’s happening nightlife; what else can you ask for in July!
- Best Places to visit in Goa: Arvalem Falls, Basilica of Bom Jesus, Sé Catedral de Santa Catarina, Dudhsagar Falls, Fort Aguada, Chapora Fort and Carambolim Lake
- Top Things to do in Goa: Indulge in water sports at the beaches, shop at the flea market, relish mouth-watering Goan delicacies, try your luck at casinos and go clubbing.
Read more: Enjoy the Glitzy Nightlife of Goa
4. Coorg, India
Called as the ‘Scotland of India’ – the hill town of Coorg in Karnataka is famous for its cool climate, tea & spice plantations and the lush expanse of greenery. Come July, the vistas of the town become even more awe-inspiring and the waterfalls at Irupu and Chelavara are perfect examples of that. If you want some adrenaline rush, then head to Barapole River – the overflowing river can’t get any better for rafting.
- Best Places to visit in Coorg: Tadiandamol Peak, Raja’s Seat, Madikeri Fort, Cauvery Nisargadhama, Omkareshwara Temple, Nagarhole National Park and Namdroling Monastery
- Top Things to do in Coorg: Explore the surreal beauty of Coorg’s waterfalls, spend time at Dubare Elephant Camp, white water rafting at Barapole River, witness wildlife at Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary and relish Kodava food
5. Ooty, India
‘The Queen of Hills’ – Ooty has mesmerized tourists from across the globe over the years, and such is its charm that you simply wish to come here over and over again. The charm of this hill town doubles up in monsoons when its lush green tea plantations are greener than ever; its scenic lakes are overflowing and its waterfalls make for pretty scintillating sight. In Ooty, walking in the rain with clouds passing by just above you will certainly become an experience of a lifetime!
- Best Places to visit in Ooty: Pykara Falls, Kalhatti Falls, Stone House, Ferrnhills Royale Palace, Avalanche Lake, Mariamman Temple, Rose Garden, Botanical Garden and Doddabetta Peak
- Top Things to do in Ooty: Enjoy a boat ride on Ooty Lake, shop for Nilgiri products, explore through tea estates and take a trip of a lifetime on the UNESCO-listed toy train
Read more: Delve in the Nightlife of Ooty
6. Kodaikanal, India
Kodaikanal in Tamil Nadu, referred to as the Princess of Hill Stations, is a perfect romantic getaway, especially in the month of July, when the monsoon season adds to its beauty by manifold. The verdant vegetation all around and gushing waterfalls – Silver Cascade, Bear Shola and Fairy are a treat to the eyes!
- Best Places to visit in Kodaikanal: Kodaikanal Lake, Dolphin’s Nose, Kurinji Andavar Temple, Kodaikanal Solar Observatory, Byrant Park and Pillar Rocks
- Top Things to do in Kodaikanal: Witness the majestic waterfalls, savor coffee chocolates, enjoy boating and other water sports at Kodaikanal Lake, and capture the beauty of Nilgiri mountains in your camera
Read more: Top Restaurants in Kodaikanal
7. Udaipur, India
Udaipur, home to majestic palaces, colorful markets, charming lakes and revered temples, is one of the top tourist destinations in India. July presents the perfect opportunity to explore the city in a pleasant weather, especially the Sajjan Garh Palace (also known as Monsoon Palace), the serene Lake Pichola and the beautiful Fateh Sagar Lake. This is one of the months when there are fewer crowds in the city and the hotel prices are low too!
- Best Places to visit in Udaipur: Lake Palace, City Palace, Saheliyon ki Bari, Fateh Sagar Lake, Maharana Pratap Memorial, Vintage Car Museum, Jagmandir, Bagore ki Haveli and Sajjangarh Palace
- Top Things to do in Udaipur: Spend some quality time at picturesque lakes of Fateh Sagar & Jaisamand, indulge in a boat cruise at Lake Pichola, explore Sajjangarh Wildlife Sanctuary and Shilpgram, and shop at Hathi Pol Bazaar
Read more: Best Shopping Places in Udaipur
8. Mussoorie, India
The quaint hill station of Mussoorie in Uttarakhand is another ideal place to explore in July when its magnificent waterfalls – Jharipani and Kempty Falls look truly amazing; its vantage points offer some scintillating vistas of the verdant forests and small villages tucked within them, and boating becomes a fun-filled experience at the Mussoorie Lake.
- Best Places to visit in Mussoorie: Lal Tibba, Gun Hill Point, Kempty Falls, Jharipani Falls, Company Garden and Cloud’s End
- Top Things to do in Mussoorie: Go on a trekking trail to Dodital, Nag Tibba or Har ki Dun, indulge in roller skating, shop at the wonderful Mall Road and savor authentic Garhwali dishes
9. Agumbe, India
Located in Karnataka, Agumbe is called as the ‘Cherrapunji of South India’, and July is the month when the trekking season kicks off here. The beauty of this place grows manifold in monsoons when its verdant valleys and scenic mountains take center stage. It can be a challenging yet an adrenaline pumping experience to trek in this season in Agumbe, but that’s the fun of it.
- Best Places to visit in Agumbe: Jogigundi Falls, Onake Abbi Falls, Gopala Krishna Temple, Sunset Point and Koodlu Teertha Falls
- Top Things to do in Agumbe: Explore its rich flora and fauna, visit Agumbe Rainforest Research Station and trek to its picturesque waterfalls
10. Valley of Flowers, India
July is the month when Valley of Flowers can be seen at its absolute best as there is lush greenery all around and the exotic flowers including saxifrage, wild roses, geraniums, blue corydalis, etc. look refreshing as ever. With the backdrop of the majestic Himalayan mountains, the Valley of Flowers is nothing short of heaven on earth!
- Best Places to visit in Valley of Flowers: Valley of Flowers National Park, Hemkund Sahib and Puspawati River
- Top Things to do in Valley of Flowers: Witness rich flora and fauna at Nanda Devi National Park and Valley of Flowers National Park