January is the month when the average temperatures hover between 5 and 25 degrees Celsius across India, making it almost ideal for people to go on vacations. From the northern to the southern and eastern to the western part of the country, there are several mind-blowing tourist destinations that you can explore on a fun-filled vacation with family or friends. Here we bring you a list of 10 such scintillating destinations you can visit to enjoy the chill of winters!
Places to Visit in January 2020:
Jaisalmer, located in the desert state of Rajasthan, is one of the top tourist destinations in northwest India, and coming here in January can be a good choice with the temperatures perfect for sightseeing and outdoor activities. Soaked in rich culture and heritage, this city is home to some mesmerizing temples and forts; the best of them being Jaisalmer Fort. Whether you take a boat ride on the beautiful Gadisagar Lake or indulge in adrenaline-pumping sports amidst the golden sands or simply explore the city, you are definitely in for a lot of fun on a trip to Jaisalmer.
- Places to Visit in Jaisalmer: Jaisalmer Fort, Gadisagar Lake, Patwon ki Haveli, Khaba Fort, Maharaja’s Palace, Jaisalmer Government Museum, Desert Culture Centre and Museum, Bada Bagh, and Desert National Park
- Things to Do in Jaisalmer: Enjoy a night at the desert camps, indulge in quad biking at Sam Sand Dunes, go for camel rides, explore Jaisalmer Fort Palace Museum and Heritage Centre, and relish the best of Rajasthani food
The capital of the state of Mizoram, Aizawl is among the oldest cities in the northeastern part of India. Aizawl is home to some splendid natural attractions, including Durtlang Hills, Vantawng Falls and the most popular Phawngpui Peak, the highest in the state. To enter the city, visitors need to get an Inner Line Permit (ILP), which can be obtained by the Liaison Officers in New Delhi, Mumbai, etc. The best time to explore the scenic beauty of Aizawl is winters and hence, it can be a good pick to visit in January.
- Places to Visit in Aizawl: Phawngpui Peak, Durtlang Hills, Vantawng Falls, Solomon Temple, Falkawn Village, Dampa Tiger Reserve, Mizoram State Museum, and K V Paradise
- Things to Do in Aizawl: Get a taste of Mizo food, explore Luangmula Handicrafts Centre, and go on a short trip to Reiek Tourist Resort
The picturesque Zanskar Valley is nestled in the Himalayas in a remote corner of Ladakh. The site remains cut off from the mainland for almost nine months owing to heavy snowfall. In January, it receives severe snowfall and that is when trekking activities, especially the famous Chadar Trek attracts adventure seekers to this part of Jammu and Kashmir. In addition to trekking through the harsh terrains of Zanskar, you can explore its ancient temples and monasteries as well as admire the beauty of the mighty Himalayan mountains.
- Places to Visit in Zanskar: Padum, Baralacha Pass, Drang-Drung Glacier, Karsha, and Rangdum Gompa
- Things to Do in Zanskar: Go for the adventurous Chadar Trek, view the sunrise and sunset at Shagma Karphu, and visit the stupas and ancient temples at Pipiting
Nashik in Maharashtra lies on the banks of the Godavari River. It has a deep association with the Hindu mythology, and thus, is a popular pilgrimage center. Another religious aspect of Nashik is that it hosts the famous Kumbh Mela every 12 years. It is home to many revered religious destinations, including Trimbakeshwar, Saptashrungi, and Panchvati. In recent years, Nashik has also made its name globally for its vineyards; the most popular among them being the Sula Vineyards. On a trip to Nashik in January, you will get an opportunity to not only visit sacred temples but also indulge in fun activities like river rafting and wine tasting.
- Places to Visit in Nashik: Panchvati, Saptashrungi, Pandu Leni, Trimbakeshwar, Kapileshwara Temple, Anjaneri Hills, and Muktidham Temple
- Things to Do in Nashik: Visit Sula Vineyards for wine tasting, enjoy white water rafting, visit the Coin Museum, and shop at local markets of Nashik
Read More: Top 3 Water Parks in Nashik to Get Your Share of Aquatic Fun
Located in the serene Wayanad district of Kerala, the quaint town of Kalpetta is a perfect January getaway for nature lovers and honeymooners. The verdant hills in the backdrop, the fragrance from the coffee plantations, the clean air, and the pleasant weather – all make for an ideal setting for a relaxing vacation in Kalpetta. The town is also home to several ancient Jain temples, that are worth exploring. Natural beauty is what will appeal to you most at Kalpetta, but hiking and trekking along its lovely surrounding hills are sure to woo your senses.
- Places to Visit in Kalpetta: Karapuzha Dam, Meenmutty Falls, Vaduvanchal, Thirunelly Temple, Sentinel Rock Waterfalls, Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary, Koottamunu Glass Temple, and Puliyarmala Jain Temple
- Things to Do in Kalpetta: Enjoy hiking and trekking, go to local markets on a shopping spree, and visit the awe-inspiring Kanthanpara Waterfalls
Located on the banks of the Mahanadi River, the ancient city of Sirpur is one of the top tourist destinations in the state of Chhattisgarh. It is home to ancient Hindu, Jain and Buddhist temples and monasteries, which as per archaeological records date from 5th to 12th centuries. Recent excavations in the area have unearthed a Jain Vihara, several Buddhist viharas, more than 20 Shiva temples and monolithic statues of Mahavira and Buddha. If you are fascinated by history, then you should come and explore this ancient city; you will not be disappointed.
- Places to Visit in Sirpur: Lakshmana Temple, Gandheswar Temple, Ram Temple, Turturiya, Buddha Vihar, and Anand Prabhu Kudi Vihar
- Things to Do in Sirpur: Explore the wildlife at Barnawapara Wildlife Sanctuary, visit the fascinating Surang Tila, and relish the Chhattisgarhi street food
Located in the Thar Desert region, Bikaner is another interesting tourist destination in Rajasthan that can be visited in January. Home to many magnificent palaces and forts, this city of royals will captivate your imagination from the onset as there is so much to see and do here. The city has an old-world charm about it; something you can witness by taking a walk through its markets and narrow lanes and visiting its forts and palaces.
- Places to Visit in Bikaner: Karni Mata Temple, Junagarh Fort, Gajner Palace, Laxminath Temple, Lalgarh Palace, Rampuriya Haveli, National Research Centre on Camel, and Bhandasar Jain Temple
- Things to Do in Bikaner: Enjoy camel safari rides, go on a shopping spree to markets at Station Road and Kote Gate, visit the Royal Cenotaphs, and gorge on authentic Rajasthani delicacies
Fondly called the Pearl City of India, Hyderabad(Capital of Telangana) is one of the upcoming metropolitan cities in the country owing to its sudden rise in the field of IT and several software MNCs setting up their headquarters here. Once ruled by the Nizams, this city, located on the banks of the Musi River, is a treasure trove of old and modern-day structures that are all worth visiting. Besides sightseeing, you can go on a shopping spree in the city, especially for pearls. Another thing that simply cannot be missed out on, when you’re in the city, is the delicious Hyderabadi Biryani.
- Places to Visit in Hyderabad: Charminar, Mecca Masjid, Golconda Fort, Hussain Sagar Lake, Nehru Zoological Park, Qutb Shahi Tomb, Lumbini Park, Salar Jung Museum, Birla Planetarium, Gandipat Lake, and Birla Mandir
- Things to Do in Hyderabad: Visit the Ramoji Film City, shop at Laad Bazaar, explore the Nehru Centenary Tribal Museum, get enchanted by the beauty of Chowmahalla Palace, and indulge in go-karting
Read More: Shopping Places in Hyderabad That No Shopaholic Can Afford to Miss!
One of the oldest port cities of India, Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh is a famous tourist destination with thousands of people flocking here round the year. Mainly known for its serene beaches, Visakhapatnam is also home to an array of natural and manmade wonders like Borra Caves and Simhachalam Temple. The best time to come here is during the winter season, especially in January, when the temperatures are low and sightseeing becomes quite pleasurable.
- Places to Visit in Visakhapatnam: Simhachalam Temple, Indira Gandhi Zoological Park, Ramakrishna Beach, War Memorial, Araku Valley, and Katiki Waterfalls
- Things to Do in Visakhapatnam: Visit the Submarine Museum, enjoy a ropeway ride to Kailasagiri, explore the enchanting Borra Caves, spend some fun time at Vizag Zoo and Kambalakonda Eco Park, and indulge in aquatic sports like water skiing, parasailing, windsurfing and jet skiing at Rushikonda Beach
Read More: Get Your Dose of Vitamin Sea at these 7 Beaches in Vizag
Ahmedabad, one of the most rapidly developing cities of Gujarat, has also become a popular tourist destination in this part of the country. It is home to many revered temples, scenic lakes, intriguing museums and colorful markets that draw travelers from across the globe. January can be a great month to visit its popular attractions as well as exploring the glorious past of the city at places like Sabarmati Ashram, Jhulta Minar and Jama Masjid.
- Places to Visit in Ahmedabad: Sabarmati Ashram, Jhulta Minar, Jama Masjid, Calico Museum of Textiles, Kite Museum, Kankaria Lake, Science City, Hathsingh Jain Temple, and Shri Swaminarayan Temple
- Things to Do in Ahmedabad: Explore the World Vintage Car Museum, go on a shopping spree at Law Garden, spend a day at Shanku’s Water Park, and visit the Vechaar Utensils Museum
Read More: Best Restaurants in Ahmedabad
Nainital is an attractive hill station in the state of Uttarakhand that is abundant with splendid sights. Also, known as the Lake City of India, this place has been a frequented tourist destination since the British era. The climate of Nainital in January is not unbearably harsh and is rather a bit gentle with a little snowfall sometimes!
Places to Visit in Nainital: Naini Lake, Eco Cave Gardens, Mall Road, Snow View Point.
Things to Do in Nainital: Enjoy a spectacular ride on ropeway cable cars in Nainital, go paragliding, or take an adventurous trek at Tiffin’s Top.
Amazing beaches and a sprightly multicultural atmosphere await you here at one of the most celebrated holiday destinations of India. Situated on the Western Coast of the Indian peninsula, Goa is a great place to visit in the wintertime. The place offers a lot of lively festivals, parties, and adventure sports to visitors during this time of the year.
Places to Visit in Goa: Calangute Beach, Fort Aguada, Anjuna Beach
Things to Do in Goa: Take a walk down Tito’s street to experience a vibrant nightlife, go scuba diving at the Grand Island.
Shillong is a picturesque hill station that is known for its immense natural beauty, and rich cultural and historical heritage. This is a highly frequented vacation destination in North Eastern India in the foothills of the mighty Himalayas. The city is a gateway to Meghalaya, which is known for its constant drizzles, waterfalls, landscapes, and great music.
Places to Visit in Shillong: Umiam Lake, Elephant Falls, Laitlum Canyons
Things to do in Shillong: Walk the streets of the vibrant Police Bazaar, explore the cultural heritage of Meghalaya at the Don Bosco Centre for Indigenous Cultures.
14. Havelock Island
Havelock Island is a magnificent destination that is a part of the Andaman & Nicobar Islands. This place is dotted with beautiful palm trees, silvery beaches, and clear bluish waters away from the hubbub of typical popular tourism locations. Tourists particularly enjoy the adventure activities here like snorkeling, jet skiing, diving, etc. This region of the archipelago is known for its colourful coral reefs too.
Places to Visit in Havelock Island: Elephant Beach, Vijayanagar Beach, Laxmanpur Beach
Things to do at Havelock Island: Explore the immense terrestrial and marine biodiversity at Neil Island, enjoy jet- skiing, and other activities at Elephant Beach.
If the thought of a marvellous snowy retreat excites you, then Gulmarg in Jammu & Kashmir is the perfect choice for you to visit in January. The exquisite sights of snow-laden lands here are bound to leave a long-lasting imprint on your soul! Located in the Himalayan Pir Panjal Range, this retreat has been a prominent one since the age of Mughal emperors.
Places to Visit in Gulmarg: Gulmarg biosphere Reserve, Alpather Lake, Gulmarg Gondola.
Things to Do in Gulmarg: Skiing off the pristine snow-covered slopes at Backcountry Ski Lodge, getting to the Gulmarg Gondola for a breathtaking cable car ride.
This is a lesser-known coastal town in the state of Maharashtra that you can visit for an offbeat vacation in the month of January. The place is in close proximity to Mumbai. Tourists particularly enjoy marvelling at Alibaug’s forts and their intriguing remains like turrets, canons, lighthouses, etc. Activities like parasailing are also available at the beaches here.
Places to Visit in Alibaug: Varsoli Beach, Alibag Beach, Kolaba Fort
Things to Do in Alibaug: Take a relaxing stroll in the Native Biodiversity Garden, spend a quiet and pleasing evening at the rock-laden Awas Beach.
The mesmerising hill station of Coorg is among the most recommended destinations of Karnataka. It is known for its charming greenery, expansive waterfalls, ancient temples, and other extraordinary sights. This place has an elevation of about 900 metres from the sea level and the climate here is pleasantly cool around the time of January. Coorg is a place that equally attracts all kinds of crowds; youngsters, families, solo travellers, and others.
Places to Visit in Coorg: Abbey Falls, Chiklihole Reservoir, Omkareshwara Temple
Things to Do in Coorg: Go on an invigorating trek up the Kotebetta Peak, see the historical Madikeri Fort.
Chamba in Himachal Pradesh is a pristine site known for its colonial-era bungalows, expansive grass slopes, and pleasing atmosphere. It is one of the loveliest valleys of the state. The town is situated at the confluence of the Ravi and Sal Rivers. The climate of this place during January is not very extreme, and hence it is an ideal place to visit.
Places to Visit in Chamba: Chamunda Mata Temple, Bhuri Singh Museum, Akhanda Chandi Palace
Things to Do in Chamba: Take a refreshing trip to the Khajjar Lake, explore the Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary.
Visit the capital city of the mountain state of Sikkim and satiate your wanderlust amidst its vast cultural heritage and elegant sights! The time around January brings in snowfall in this region, making it a delightful travel destination. The region is culturally very rich and has institutions like the Namgyal Institute of Tibetology that offer professional study courses in Buddhism and Tibetan studies.
Places to Visit in Gangtok: Nathu La Pass, Tsongmo Lake, Tsuk La Khang Monastery
Things to Do in Gangtok: Take a cable car ride, enjoy local delicacies at M.G. Marg, go shopping at the Lal Bazaar.
The marvellous and vibrant desert city of Jaipur is a destination that should definitely be on your list. Spend your winters exploring this enchanting historical city that has numerous experiences and glorious sights to offer. Also known as the pink city of India, Jaipur is bound to leave you speechless with its fascinating monuments, colourful markets, and a history that dates back to thousands of years.
Places to Visit in Jaipur: City Palace, Hawa Mahal, Central Museum, Jantar Mantar
Things to Do in Jaipur: Visit the spectacular forts of the city and explore the heritage, see the Jaipur Literature Festival that takes place each year in January.