Mumbai is often referred to as the ‘City that Never Sleeps’, and rightly so. Monday, Tuesday or any other day of the week, the city never ceases to fascinate you. And, weekends get a new meaning when you are in the City of Dreams as there is no dearth of places to explore and activities to indulge in. Whether you are looking to unleash the shopaholic in you, tickle your taste buds with some soulful food, enjoy a relaxing time unwinding in the lap of nature or just step out for your hotels in Mumbai and head to where the streets take you, there are loads of things to do in Mumbai on weekends.
If you happen to be in the city this weekend, read on. Here is a list of activities to try in Mumbai on weekends.
1. Go on a Shopping Spree
What better way to spend weekends than by going on a shopping spree? When we say shopping, we are not just talking about the shopping malls in Mumbai where you get everything under one roof. The streets of the city will offer you an equally delightful shopping experience. Colaba Causeway, also called the Colaba Market, is a good start, where you will find all kinds of apparel, junk jewelry, books and handicrafts. What’s more? Colaba also has some of the best restaurants in Mumbai where you can have a filling meal after long hours of shopping. Crawford Market, Fashion Street and Chor Bazaar are some other must-visit shopping places in Mumbai.
- Timings: Morning till evening
- Must-buy Items: Clothes, handbags, handicrafts, and jewelry
- Must-visit restaurants in Colaba: The Table, Leopold Café, Café Mondegar, and Bay View Café and Bar
2. Take a Trip to a Weekend Getaway or Go Camping
One of the best things about Mumbai is that it is close to many great weekend getaways within 100 km. So how about hitting the road for a short trip? If you are a birdwatcher or nature lover, Karnala is your best bet. You could also plan a trip to Durshet, Lonavala, and Alibaug as these are among the favorite weekend destinations of Mumbaikars. Alternatively, you could also explore some incredible camping sites in Mumbai such as Uttan, Vishnubaaug, and Matheran.
3. Go on a Gastronomic Tour through Mumbai’s Streets
Of all the things Mumbai is known for, its food tops the list, and the best of the city’s flavors can be found on its streets. This weekend, how about planning a gastronomic tour through Mumbai’s best known food streets? You can start off with a plate of Pav Bhaji or Vada Pav and then graduate to more filling items such as kebabs, rolls, Baida Roti, Mumbai sandwich, and the like. Our blog on the street food in Mumbai will tell you everything you should know about these delightful grubs.
- Must-try items: Pav Bhaji, Vada Pav, Bhel Puri, Sev Puri, Pani Puri, Ragda Pattice, Batata Vada, Falooda
- Must-visit street food joints: Ashok Vada Pav (Kirti College Lane), Badshah Pani Puri (Girgaon Chowpatty), Sharma Bhel Puri House (Vile Parle East), Bademiya (Colaba), Amar Juice Centre (near Cooper Hospital), Baba Falooda (Mahim West)
4. Explore the Beaches
Mumbai’s galleries, museums, and sanctuaries might be closed on Saturdays or Sundays, but its sandy beaches are always open. If you happen to be in the city this weekend, a visit to the iconic Juhu Beach is a must. For an idyllic evening alone or with your family and friends, you could also visit Aksa beach, Versova Beach, Dadar Chowpatty beach, and Gorai beach.
Also check couple friendly hotels in Mumbai
5. Take a Stroll on Marine Drive
Now, no traveler should leave the city without visiting its most iconic landmark – the Marine Drive. A stroll on this scenic stretch is all you need to feel relaxed and rejuvenated, with the fresh breeze caressing you and the sound of the waves playing music to your ears. Mind you, the place might be a little crowded on weekends, but its scenic beauty will make up for it. There are many good eateries and restaurants near the Marine Drive, where you can have a splendid dinner to add to your weekend experience.
- Restaurants: The Bay View, the Dome, Pizza by the Bay, New Yorker, and Geoffrey’s
6. Stay Close to Nature at Sanjay Gandhi National Park
If you have had enough of the city and its hustle and bustle, it’s time to take a trip to Sanjay Gandhi National Park, a protected area spanning over 100 sq km. Whether you want to try trekking, boating, rock climbing, tiger safari or just get some fresh air, the park is an ideal location. No wonder, it counts as one of the best places in Mumbai to visit with family over weekends.
- Timings: 07:30 am to 6:30 pm; closed on Mondays
- Entry Fee: ₹ 58 for adults; ₹ 31 for kids
- Safari Fee: ₹ 77 for adults; ₹ 31 for kids
7. Watch a Play at Prithvi Theatre
Fancy a really unique activity in Mumbai this weekend? Ditch movies, multiplexes, and popcorns, and make your way to Prithvi Theatre, built by Shashi Kapoor, to catch a play. One of Mumbai’s best-known performing arts centers, the theatre is a perfect place to have a great weekend. There’s a tiny bookstore in the compound and also a café, called Prithvi Café, where you get the best Irish coffee and cutting chai in town.
- Timings: 10:00 am to 01:00 pm and 02:00 pm to 07:00 pm; closed on Mondays
- Entry Fee: ₹ 125 to ₹ 400 (varies based on the show)
8. Go Pub Hopping and Unwind Over a Couple of Drinks
Mumbai is for those who dream; it is also a city for those who drink. If you have had a tough week at work or if you did enough sightseeing and traveling, it’s time to wind down over a few drinks. The Colaba Social is your best bet for some moments filled with gusto, music, laughter, and dance. You could also try other pubs and bars in the city, including Woodside Inn (Colaba), The Bombay Bronx (Breach Candy), The Ghetto (Breach Candy), and Old Wild West (Lower Parel).
- Timings: 09:00 am to 01:30 am; every day
- Cost for two: ₹ 1400 (approx.)
11:30 am to 01:00 am (Monday to Friday)
10:00 am to 01:00 (Saturday and Sunday)
- Cost for two: ₹ 2000 (approx.)
The Bombay Bronx
- Timings: 06:00 pm to 01:00 am; every day
- Cost for two: ₹ 1500 (approx.)
- Timings: 07:00 pm to 01:30 am; every day
- Cost for two: ₹1300 (approx.)
Old Wild West
- Timings: 05:00 pm to 01:30 am; every day
- Cost for two: ₹ 1800 (approx.)
9. Explore Your Spiritual Side
If you would rather spend your weekend seeking some spiritual solace than indulging in ‘spirit’, worry not! Mumbai has its share of temples, churches, and mosques where you can enjoy some uninterrupted moments offering prayers. Siddhivinayak Temple counts among the top temples in Mumbai while Haji Ali Dargah is a mosque known for its serene vibes as well as scenic location. Alternatively, you can also take a trip to some of the best known churches in Mumbai, including Mount Mary Basilica, St. Michael’s Church, and St. Peter’s Church, each of which is hallmarked for its architectural grandeur and aesthetics.
- Timings: 05:30 am to 09:50 pm; every day
Haji Ali Dargah
- Timings: 05:30 am to 10:00 pm; every day
10. Chill Out at Adlabs Imagica or Essel World
If shopping, spirituality, and food are not on your list of things to do in Mumbai on weekends, it has to be adventure! And this weekend, you can get your adrenaline levels up by visiting Adlabs Imagica or Essel World, two of the most popular amusement parks in the city. The thrilling rides and activities here will keep you engaged for a whole day, making you forget the woes of the workweek.
Here’s our blog on all the popular amusement parks in Mumbai.
- Theme Park: 10:30 am to 08:00 pm; every day
- Theme Park Rides: 11:00 am to 07:00 pm; every day
- Water Park: 10:30 am to 7:00 pm; every day
- Water Park Rides: 11:00 am to 5:30 pm; every day
- Entry Fee:* (Theme Park)
- Weekdays: ₹ 1299 for adults; ₹ 1099 for kids
- Weekends: ₹ 1599 for adults; ₹ 1299 for kids
- Peak Season: ₹ 1899 for adults; ₹ 1499 for kids
- Entry Fee: (Water Park)
- Weekdays: ₹ 899 for adults; ₹ 799 for kids
- Weekends and peak season: ₹ 999 for adults; ₹ 799 for kids
- Timings: 10:00 am to 07:00 pm; every day
- Entry Fee:
Adults – ₹ 1500 (fast track entry); ₹ 1950 (fast track entry + buffet); ₹ 390 (Pay N Pay Basic); ₹ 1050 (Pay N Pay Silver); ₹ 840 (Pay N Pay Basic + buffet); ₹ 1500 (Pay N Pay Silver + buffet)
Children – ₹ 1000 (fast track entry); ₹ 1171 (fast track entry + buffet); ₹ 390 (Pay N Pay Basic); ₹ 750 (Pay N Pay Silver); ₹ 580 (Pay N Pay Basic + buffet); ₹ 940 (Pay N Pay Silver + buffet)
11. Take a Bollywood Tour
Are you a hardcore Bollywood fan? Then, you must take a full-day Bollywood tour this weekend to get a glimpse into the nitty-gritties of making a film. You can visit the Film City (also known as Dadasaheb Phalke Chitranagari) and various film studios in the city such as SJ Studios. Some of the packages for such guided tours also allow you to visit live shooting sets, see the technicians working, and drive past Bollywood stars’ homes.
Now that you know all the great activities in Mumbai on weekends, why wait? Explore, enjoy, and eat and drink to your heart’s content. Remember, everyone deserves a good weekend, and you are no exception!
Things to Do in Mumbai on Weekends (Video):
Recommended Hotels in Mumbai:
Use Coupon Code "FABSTAR", Get 30% Discount!