Due to its location in the north-western part of India and the semi-arid climate, the best time to visit Amritsar is typically between November and March. This, however, doesn’t mean that you should avoid visiting the city any other time of the year. In fact, you can customize your itinerary based on the three major seasons in Amritsar – summer, monsoon, and winter. While it can be agonizingly hot during the summer months, you can experience below freezing point temperatures during the winter season.
Want to know more about the best season to visit Amritsar and the activities to engage in each season? Read this blog before you plan your trip and book your hotels in Amritsar.
Amritsar in Summer (April to June)
Summer in Amritsar starts in the month of April and extends till cool monsoon showers start in late June or early July. Hot and dry climate marks this season, and the city experiences a heat wave throughout this period. The summer heat reaches its peak during the months of May and June. The mercury levels can also shoot up during this time, causing temperatures to rise. Due to the sweltering heat intensity, summer is not the best season to visit Amritsar.
- Maximum Temperature: 34 to 40 degree Celsius
- Minimum Temperature: 17 to 25 degree Celsius
Things to Do in Amritsar in Summer
If you end up in the city during the summer months, it is advised that you limit sightseeing to early morning or evening hours. You can add indoor attractions, water parks, and nearby hill stations in your summer itinerary. Here are our top suggestions:
- Cool off at the amusement parks and water parks in Amritsar – Sun City, Rainbow Resorts Water Park, Smaaash Zone, and Funland
- Explore the nightlife in Amritsar as temperatures fall after sundown – Underdoggs Sports Bar, Peddlers, Proof, Irish Beach, The Peg, The Beer Café, Blue Icy Bar, etc.
- Head out to the hill stations near Amritsar – Thaneek Pura (152 km), Bakloh (177 km), Dalhousie (198 km), Dharamshala (200 km), Khajjiar (210 km), etc.
- Spend some time at the shopping malls in Amritsar – Trillium Mall, The Celebration Mall, Alpha One Mall, Soul Space Spirit Mall, etc.
- Enjoy the lively celebrations of Baisakhi (Held on 13th April every year)
Amritsar in Monsoon (July to October)
Monsoon in Amritsar starts in July and stays till September while the time from October to early November can be referred to as post-monsoon period. Though the city experiences much relief from the scorching heat of the summer, it does not enjoy heavy showers. The temperatures can go down when the sky remains overcast. But sometimes the sun breaks through the cloud, causing a significant increase in temperatures and making the city warm and humid. If you are not comfortable in humid climatic conditions, monsoons may not be the best time to visit Amritsar.
- Maximum Temperature: 32 to 35 degree Celsius
- Minimum Temperature: 17 to 26 degree Celsius
Things to Do in Amritsar in Monsoon
If you are visiting the city in the monsoons, indoor activities are recommended. Here’s what you can do to make the most of the rainy season in Amritsar:
- Visit the Maharaja Ranjit Singh Museum
- Escape to the monsoon getaways near Amritsar – Dharamsala-McLeod Ganj (205 km), Kangra (203 km), Jammu (215 km), Shimla (300 km), etc.
- Visit the temples in Amritsar – Durgiana Temple, Mata Lal Devi Temple, ISKCON Temple, Bhayian Da Shiwala Mandir, etc.
- Explore the churches in Amritsar – St. Paul’s Church, St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, Anglican Church of India, etc.
- Enjoy local food at the best restaurants in Amritsar – The Kulcha Land, Brothers Dhaba, Crystal Restaurant, Bittu Meat Wala, Makhan Fish & Chicken Corner, etc.
Amritsar in Winter (November to March)
Winter in Amritsar starts in the early weeks of November and the pleasant climate stays back till March. During this period, the weather becomes extremely cold, especially during December and January. At night, temperatures may even slide down to minus. The pleasant daytime weather in the winter makes it the best season to visit Amritsar.
- Maximum Temperature: 19 to 27 degree Celsius
- Minimum Temperature: 5 to 12 degree Celsius
Things to Do in Amritsar in Winter
Undoubtedly, winter season is the perfect time to explore the various attractions in the city. On your trip to Amritsar, here’s a list of the top things you can do during winters:
- Explore the famous tourist places in Amritsar – Golden Temple, Jallianwala Bagh, Ram Tirath Ashram, Akal Takht, etc.
- Witness the Beating Retreat and Change of Guard ceremonies at Wagah Border
- Visit the forts near Amritsar – Gobindgarh Fort, Faridkot Fort, Bathinda Fort, Qila Mubarak, etc.
- Go for birdwatching at the Harike Wetland
- Take a heritage walk around the city, covering akharas, bungas, havelis, and hattis
- Attend Ram Tirth Fair (usually in November, a couple of weeks after Diwali)
- Experience the festive vibe during Diwali (November), Guru Purab (November and January), Basant Panchami (January) and Lohri (mid-January)
- Attend the festivities of Hola Mohalla (March)
- Go shopping at Hall Bazaar
Amritsar is a vibrant city that packs in many attractions for you, regardless of when you visit. So, go ahead and plan your itinerary to explore this heritage city and enjoy your time there.