Kolkata, the City of Joy, is the capital of West Bengal and the third most populated metropolitan city in India. It is known for being the cultural capital of the country, besides being a prominent centre of commerce and education. What makes city stand out from others is its rustic charm and the perfect mix chaotic city streets and fancy new-age suburbs. With splendid attractions like Victoria Memorial, Howrah Bridge and Dakshineswar Kali Temple in addition to lush gardens, top restaurants and cafes, and a happening nightlife scene, Kolkata is quite popular among tourists as well from worldwide.
How to Get to Kolkata by Flight, Train or Bus
The main gateway to Northeast India, Kolkata can be easily reached from all major cities across India and even abroad by air. Moreover, the city is well-connected to all major Indian cities by an efficient railway network and a complex system of highways and arterial roads that pass through Kolkata.
Read more to know how to reach Kolkata in detail:
How to Reach Kolkata by Air
Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport (CCU) is the aerodrome that connects Kolkata with other major metropolitans in the country. It also offers access to the city from Southeast Asian and European countries via regular flights. Major airlines like GoAir, Thai Airways International, IndiGo, Air India, Emirates and Qatar Airways, among others, all service this airport. Travellers can take the public transport like buses and private taxis to reach their destination from the airport. Also, there are a few trains connecting the airport to the railway station in Dum Dum via a new rail link.
How to Reach Kolkata by Rail
Kolkata is connected to the rest of the nation via an integrated rail network, using which travellers can easily access the city on a budget. Sealdah (SDAH) and Howrah (HWH) are the major railheads serving the city and the metropolitan city of Howrah. Sealdah is among the busiest railway stations in India and services long-distance trains from all parts of the country across three terminals. From the railway stations, prepaid cabs are widely available to travel to anywhere in the city.
Major train stations in Kolkata: Kolkata Chitpur (KOAA), Kolkata Santragachi Junction (SRC), Kolkata Howrah Junction (HWH), Kolkata Sealdah (SDAH), Bidhan Nagar Road (BNXR), Dakhineswar (DAKE), Belgharia (BLH), Dum Dum Junction (DDJ)
How to Reach Kolkata by Road
Kolkata enjoys easy connectivity with other major metropolitan cities by a network of highways and expressways. Some major thoroughfares passing through Kolkata are NH 12 and NH 16. For people who wish to travel by bus, Esplanade Bus Station is the main stop for inter-state buses.
Interstate bus terminals and major bus stations of Kolkata: Esplanade Bus Terminus, Babughat Bus Stand, Tollygunge Tram Depot Bus Stand
Distance Between Kolkata and Major Indian Cities:
- Mumbai to Kolkata: 1961 km (approximately 29 hours by road)
- Pune to Kolkata: 1829 km (approximately 28 hours by road)
- Chennai to Kolkata: 1670 km (approximately 27 hours by road)
- New Delhi to Kolkata: 1462 km (approximately 20 hours by road)
- Ahmedabad to Kolkata: 2012 km (approximately 29 hours by road)
- Hyderabad to Kolkata: 1460 km (approximately 22 hours by road)
- Goa to Kolkata: 1891 km (approximately 37 hours by road)
- Bangalore to Kolkata: 1870 km (approximately 31 hours by road)
- Jaipur to Kolkata: 1513 km (approximately 26 hours by road)
- Chandigarh to Kolkata: 1725 km (approximately 29 hours by road)
- Lucknow to Kolkata: 999 km (approximately 15 hours by road)
- Visakhapatnam to Kolkata: 885 km (approximately 13 hours by road)
- Kochi to Kolkata: 2318 km (approximately 45 hours by road)
- Gurgaon to Kolkata: 1496 km (approximately 29 hours by road)
- Amritsar to Kolkata: 1946 km (approximately 35 hours by road)
- Vadodara to Kolkata: 2019 km (approximately 38 hours by road)
- Surat to Kolkata: 2171 km (approximately 41 hours by road)
- Patna to Kolkata: 582 km (approximately 9 hours by road)
- Bhopal to Kolkata: 1235 km (approximately 24 hours by road)
- Indore to Kolkata: 1044 km (approximately 21 hours by road)
- Kanpur to Kolkata: 1749 km (approximately 32 hours by road)
- Nagpur to Kolkata: 1117 km (approximately 15 hours by road)
- Nashik to Kolkata: 662 km (approximately 13 hours by road)
- Mysore to Kolkata: 590 km (approximately 13 hours by road)
- Mangalore to Kolkata: 345 km (approximately 8 hours by road)
- Coimbatore to Kolkata: 817 km (approximately 18 hours by road)
- Bhubaneswar to Kolkata: 439 km (approximately 8 hours by road)
- Guwahati to Kolkata: 993 km (approximately 19 hours by road)
Top Attractions to Explore While Travelling to Kolkata:
Howrah Bridge, Park Street, New Market, Dakshineswar Kali Temple, Kumortuli, Babu Ghat, College Street, South Park Cemetery, Old Chinatown
Recommended Hotels in Kolkata:
Use Coupon Code "STAYFAB", Get UPTO 60% Discount!