The holiday season is here and so is the best time to visit Goa. Of all the places, this land of sun, sand and the sea enjoys the maximum hype for its Christmas and New Year celebrations. Being a Christian dominated region, Goa is the best place to enjoy the birth of Christ with all the enthusiasm and fervour associated with it. The weather of Goa only enhances the experience of holidaying at this time.
Christmas brings along with it the faint aroma of baking, carols being sung in the backdrop, markets laden with decorations and the laughter of kids getting all excited for the arrival of Santa. A typical Christmas celebration in Goa finds its inspiration from the European way. The food mainly comprises a fruit cake made of wine and dry fruits, a chicken or turkey dish, pork sorpotel with rice and bebinca – a local sweet dish made out of milk and coconut.
Merry-making is easily reflected in the whole atmosphere of the state. The beaches, the local markets, pubs, restaurants or the streets, the zeal can be witnessed everywhere. The bakeries are all laden with homemade chocolates and cakes that are a must-have. It is among the best places in India to enjoy baked goodies. Churches are beautifully decorated and the story of the Lord’s birth is aptly told through carols and performances, most of them being in Old Goa.
Popular Churches to visit in Goa during Christmas:
- Se Cathedral
- Basilica of Bom Jesus
- Church of our Lady of Immaculate Conception
- Church of St. Francis of Assisi
After everyone is done with Xmas and Sunburn Festival, New Year is the next thing to look forward to in Goa. Similar to Christmas, even New Year celebrations reach an altogether different high in Goa. It is one of the most happening destinations to party in India. Beach parties are the highlight of New Year in Goa along with celebrations at the cruise. These parties go on till the wee hours of the morning and have a lavish set up of food and drinks. Gala dinners at hotels and restaurants are hosted and attract a large crowd of tourists.
Some of the best places to hang out in Goa on New Year 2020:
- 9 Bar, Vagator: A beautiful indoor setup, a breathtaking view at its terrace and some out-of-the-world trance nights.
- Silent Noise, Palolem: Located in South Goa, this place is one of a kind known for being the only one to host a headphone party.
- UV Bar, Anjuna: Its fire shows, psychedelic trance parties and techno parties have made it a popular destination in a short time.
- Hilltop, Vagator: Not just its parties but also its food deserves a mention over here. If you are a food connoisseur then this is definitely the place to celebrate your New Year
- Titos Club, Calangute: The oldest night club of Goa, it needs no introduction. It hosts some of the best crowd in North Goa.
- Cafe Mambo, Baga: Situated in the Titos Lane in Baga, it is known for its music and live performances by the best of DJs.
- Club Cabana, Arpora: Frequented by celebs, this place is known for its amazing ambience under the starlit sky. The perfect place for all the party animals.